Tedrick A. Housh III, CIPP/US
Together with an extensive employment litigation practice, Mr. Housh practices in the rapidly developing legal world of data security and privacy.
As Chair of our Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice group, Mr. Housh serves as a leader of the firm’s work on data privacy, data security and data breach issues. He helps clients solve technological, logistical and legal issues arising from the maintenance, loss or disposal of personally identifiable information, protected health information and key proprietary data. Mr. Housh has been active in the firm’s work involving blockchain, a transformative distributed ledger technology with accompanying privacy issues. He has provided advice on ICOs and token sales. He crafts website terms of service and privacy statements that contemplate both current and future regulatory requirements. The International Association of Privacy Professionals has designated Mr. Housh a Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US).
For over two decades, he has assisted companies with all types of workplace matters, from individual discrimination claims to wage-and-hour and overtime class actions. He frequently litigates covenants not to compete and matters involving the use and misuse of trade secret data, requiring a special emphasis on eDiscovery and related issues. He also deals with severance negotiations and employee benefits disputes.
In the area of general commercial litigation, Mr. Housh has both bench and jury trial experience in state and federal courts, and he has argued appeals before the Missouri Court of Appeals, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Kansas Supreme Court.
Mr. Housh is a frequent presenter on data privacy and security, social media, employment law and the workplace.
Before entering law school, Mr. Housh served as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and taught English as a Second Language with the Blue Valley (Kansas) School District.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- Selected for Best Lawyers in America®, 2019
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
- Selected for Missouri Lawyers Weekly’s Top Defense Wins, 2015
- LAKC Public Service Award, presented by Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Robert C. Welch Pro Bono Service Award, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- June 12, 2018
- November 16, 2017
- November 17, 2016
- October 20, 2016
- August 23, 2016
- August 19, 2015
- August 19, 2015
- August 19, 2015
- June 4, 2015
- November 20, 2014
- June 6, 2013
- April 29, 2013
- Board of Directors, KC Tech Council, 2017-
- Board Member & Current Chair, Lakeview Village, the largest continuing care senior community in Kansas, 2006-2017
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Kansas State Affairs Committee, 2008-2016
- Board Member, Regional Transit Alliance of Kansas City 2006-2011
- President, Round Hill Bath & Tennis Club, Overland Park, Kansas, 2006-2011
- Chair, Johnson County, Kansas Public Policy Council, 2006
- Board Chair, Lenexa Chamber of Commerce, 2006
- Leadership Kansas, Kansas Chamber of Commerce, 2006
- Midwest Regional Editor, Employment Law Newsletter of the Defense Research Institute, 2005
- Kansas City Tomorrow Leadership Program, Civic Council of Kansas City, 2004
- Board President, Kansas City Academy, a college preparatory academy, 1998
- Chair, National Children and the Law Committee, ABA Young Lawyers Division, 1997
- English as Second Language Teacher, Blue Valley School District, 1987-1988
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1985-1987
- Quoted in “Cybersecurity Threats: What to Look For, How to Prepare,” The Kansas City Business Journal, August 2016
- Quoted in “LED Lighting as Data Interface,” Urban Land Magazine, Urban Land Institute, April 2015
- Quoted in “Data Can Tell You Want to Quit or that You’re Not Right for the Job,” The Kansas City Star, November 28, 2014
- Quoted in “Mitigating Data Breaches,” Law Technology News, October 2014
- Quoted in “Box CEO: Balkanization of the Internet Would Be ‘Incredibly Bad,” The Wall Street Journal CIO Report, June 28, 2014
- Chapter Author, “New Legislation Impacting the Protection and Storage of Corporate Data and Customer Information,” in Recent Trends in Privacy and Data Security: Leading Lawyers on Analyzing Information Storage Regulations and Developing Effective Data Protection Strategies, a Thomson Reuters/Aspatore book, from its Inside the Minds™ series, 2013
- Quoted in “Don’t be a Twit when Twittering,” The Kansas City Star, November 28, 2009
- Panelist, "GDPR: What We've Learned So Far and What to Expect," INTERFACE-Kansas City Conference, Overland Park Convention Center, July 12, 2018
- Speaker, "Technology as Disrupter and Safety Net: How to Harness Efficiencies While Keeping You and Your Clients' Data Secure," State of Litigation Conference, Sporting Kansas City/Children's Mercy Park, June 12, 2018
- Speaker, "Blockchain Technology in Agriculture," Kansas Cooperative Council CFO Roundtable, Sponsored by CoBank and the Arthur Capper Cooperative Center, Department of Agricultural Economics at Kansas State University, May 15, 2018
- Speaker, "The Shifting Sands of Data Security and Privacy Regulation – GDPR and Beyond," Kansas City Chapter of International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, June 6, 2018
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Information Security Law, from GDPR to Data Breach Class Actions," Information Systems Security Association - Kansas City Chapter, April 26, 2018
- Co-presenter, "Data Forensics in Litigation," High Technology Crime Investigation Association Heartland Chapter, February 9, 2018
- Keynote Speaker and Panelist, "Discussion on Cyber Security and Global Technology Trends," Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, October 26, 2017
- Speaker, What Does DOJ's New Guidance Say About Third-Party Risk? & Three Questions with Tedrick Housh, Compliance Beat Podcast, May 18, 2017
- Speaker, Recent & Expected Changes in the Law for Missouri Employers, Missouri Employer Committee, Kansas City, Missouri, May 16, 2017
- Panelist, “Kansas City Cyber Event,” Lathrop Gage, Kansas City, MO, October 20, 2016
- Speaker, “Smart Buildings, Smart Cities & the Internet of Things,” The American Institute of Architects, Kansas City, MO, July 14, 2016
- Panelist, “Security, Ethics & Retention Issues in Technology,” 2016 Legislative Leadership Summit, Kansas City, MO, April 22, 2016
- Presenter, “Data Privacy & Security,” Nonprofit Conversations Seminar, Kansas City, MO, April 5, 2016
- Panelist, “Lawyers Leading the Race to Cybersecurity,” Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) St. Louis Chapter, St. Louis, MO, March 30, 2016
- Panelist, “From Prevention to Detection: The Board’s Role in Developing an Effective Cyber Security Action Plan,” NYSE Governance Services Cyber Risk Board Forum, San Francisco, CA, February 29, 2016
- “Cyber Security Seminar,” Hosted by The Brass on Baltimore, Kansas City, MO, February 25, 2016
- “Cyberliability 2015: Your Data Risks and Obligations,” Lathrop Gage State of Litigation Conference, Sporting Park, Kansas City, June 4, 2015.
- Panelist, “Data Security Challenges – What’s a General Counsel to Do?” West Coast General Counsel Forum, NYSE Governance Services, Four Seasons Silicon Valley, East Palo Alto, June 2, 2015.
- “The Protection of Client Data,” Continuing Legal Education ethics program, Hispanic Bar Association of Kansas City, May 7, 2015.
- Panelist, “The Enemy Within – Responding to Insider Threats,” Conference on Cyber Risks and the Board Room, NYSE Governance Services, New York Stock Exchange, April 21, 2015.
- Host, US Department of State Delegation of European Union Data Privacy & Security Officials (EU, Germany, Norway & Armenia); presentation on “Data Privacy and Protection in the United States,” Kansas City, April 16, 2015.
- “Cyber Liability 2015: Your Data Risks and Obligations,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Midwest Chapter, February 19, 2015.
- Tedrick Housh Interviewed by Kansas City's ABC Station on Hacking Attempt on Senator Claire McCaskill's EmailJuly 31, 2018
- November 21, 2017
- November 17, 2017
- May 18, 2017
- September 6, 2016
- July 20, 2015
- December 3, 2014
- June 12, 2014
- March 11, 2013
- December 1, 2009
- August 15, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- October 14, 2013
- April 5, 2012
- May 18, 2011
- Petya Global Ransomware Attack Shows Why Businesses Should Prepare for Loss or Unwanted Encryption of Key Data6/29/2017
- WannaCry Global Ransomware Attack Shows Why Businesses Should Prepare for Loss or Unwanted Encryption of Key Data5/16/2017
- New Federal "Defend Trade Secrets Act" Brings Need to Adjust Employment Contracts, Policies and Handbooks5/18/2016
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1991
University of Oregon, B.A., 1984