Ruth J. Brackney
Ms. Brackney prepares analysis and recommendations on sophisticated estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax issues, including development of complex estate plans, preparation of estate planning documents, estate and gift tax returns, and administration of estates, trusts, and family limited partnerships. With nearly 20 years of experience, she provides lifetime financial planning involving special needs of children and spouses, and financial planning related to divorce and premarital agreements. She counsels multi-generational families on the transfer of wealth, including educating children and supervising family meetings. Ms. Brackney assists clients with charitable planning and the administration of private foundations and charitable trusts. Ms. Brackney represents estate and trust clients in federal estate tax audits. She forms and administers charitable entities including private foundations, charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts. Ms. Brackney provides life insurance planning and planning with retirement assets, in addition to assisting with asset protection strategies such as Missouri Spendthrift Trusts.
Ms. Brackney’s prior experience includes working in the Tax & Estate Planning Practice Group at Husch & Eppenberger. She was also an auditor with the Resolution Trust Corporation - Office of Inspector General in Kansas City, Missouri.
Ms. Brackney has also passed the CPA exam.
- Order of the Bench and Robe
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, Spring 1997 Edition
- The Urban Lawyer, Articles Editor
- Emissaries, Secretary
- Phi Alpha Delta, Treasurer
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City (Board Member, 2018 - Present)
- Wayside Waifs (Board Member, 2016 - present)
- Graduate of Kansas City Tomorrow, 32nd Class
- Kansas City Tomorrow Alumni Association (Member)
- Estate Planning Society of Kansas City (Served on Legal Membership Committee)
- Mid-America Planned Giving Council (Board Member, 2017 - present)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Graduate Tax Law Foundation (Served on Board of Directors)
- Encompass Volunteer/Mentor
- Speaker, “Estate Planning”, HalfMoon Education Inc. Seminar, September 2017
- Panelist, “Adventures in Portability”, UMKC CLE Recent Developments in Federal Taxes, January 17, 2015; January 30, 2016; January 28, 2017.
- Panelist, “Practice Management: The Difference Between Success and Failure in Today’s Competitive Environment”, UMKC CLE Estate Planning Fundamentals, September 23, 2014
- Co-taught, Estate Planning and Drafting, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, 2001-2002
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, LL.M. Taxation, 1998
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1997
University of Illinois, B.S., Accounting, high honors, 1992