Eric D. Sidler
Eric Sidler focuses his practice on securing and protecting clients’ intellectual property rights. Mr. Sidler has significant experience representing clients in a wide range of industries—including consumer products, manufacturing, financial services, agribusiness, and entertainment—in complex trademark, copyright, patent, trade secret, false advertising, and domain name disputes in courts and administrative tribunals throughout the United States. Mr. Sidler’s experience includes representing clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Sidler also counsels clients on brand management issues, including trademark and domain name registration, maintenance, enforcement, and licensing strategies, as well as copyright registration, enforcement, and licensing issues.
In addition to his IP litigation and counseling experience, Mr. Sidler has significant experience representing clients in various other types of complex civil disputes—including insurance coverage, employment, shareholder, contract, and business tort disputes. Mr. Sidler previously represented major insurance companies in third-party liability insurance coverage disputes in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Mr. Sidler also served as a law clerk to Judge Lynn J. Bush of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims; in this role, he gained valuable insight into the judicial process and knowledge of the subject matter within the Court of Federal Claims’ exclusive jurisdiction, including patent and copyright claims against the United States.
Outside of work, Eric enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter, traveling, learning and discussing history, and staying hopeful about his favorite Minnesota sports teams.
Representative IP Litigation
- Representing leading shipping and transportation company in cancellation and opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representing manufacturer of aftermarket automotive accessories in defense against claim of patent infringement.
- Representing major manufacturer of infant and toddler products in defense against claim of patent infringement.
- Representing software company in prosecution of claims under Defend Trade Secrets Act to prevent threatened disclosure of proprietary information by state agency pursuant to open records law. Obtained preliminary injunction preventing disclosure.
- Represented agribusiness client in defense against claims of trademark infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets, among other related claims.
- Represented sports industry client in prosecution of domain name, trade secret, and trademark enforcement action. Drafted motion for preliminary injunction resulting in entry of early consent judgment in favor of client.
- Represented major manufacturer of infant and toddler products in defense against claim of patent infringement. Drafted motion to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction, resulting in complete dismissal.
- Represented music industry client in defense against claim of copyright infringement. Negotiated favorable settlement at mediation.
- Represented toy industry client in prosecution of copyright, trade dress, and false advertising suit against competitor. Drafted opposition to motion to dismiss leading to negotiation of early settlement on terms favorable to client.
- Represented agribusiness client in prosecution of chemical patent and trade secret enforcement action. Drafted opposition to motion for summary judgment leading to negotiation of multi-million dollar settlement in favor of client.
- Represented leading mortgage lender in prosecution of several trademark, trade dress, and copyright enforcement actions resulting in early and favorable settlements.
- Represented aerospace, defense, and sporting goods company in defense against claim of copyright infringement. Drafted motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal with prejudice of all claims against client.
Representative IP Counseling
- Counseling leading mortgage lender regarding design and execution of U.S. trademark registration, maintenance, and enforcement program.
- Counseling leading shipping and transportation company regarding design and execution of U.S. and international trademark registration, maintenance, and enforcement program.
Significant Non-IP Litigation
- Represented major third-party liability insurers in coverage actions in federal and state courts and administrative proceedings.
- Represented manufacturer of laser vision correction systems in shareholder dispute. Drafted opposition to demand for indemnification of attorney’s fees and costs, persuading the court to adopt client’s position on a novel, “bet-the-company” legal issue, ultimately leading to favorable resolution for client.
- Represented hedge fund manager in employment dispute with former employer. Achieved multi-million dollar award on behalf of client through arbitration.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Managing Editor, The George Washington International Law Review, Volume 43
- George Washington Scholar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with High Honors, 2011
Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Lynn J. Bush, U.S. Court of Federal Claims