Brian W. Fields
Brian has more than 20 years of experience handling complex litigation involving business tort and contract claims, covenants not to compete, intellectual property, patent and copyright infringement, architect and engineer liability, construction litigation, insurance recovery and coverage, products liability cases involving significant property damage and deaths, and disputes involving cryptocurrency assets under U.S. securities laws. He has led bitcoin and ICO advisor litigation cases. He is a member of the Missouri, Kansas and Illinois Bars.
Brian serves as lead outside general counsel to several companies, including a renowned architecture firm, a leading cookware manufacturer, and freight transportation companies. He provides his clients with practical legal and business advice, litigation avoidance strategies, contract negotiations, insurance and risk management services, and general employment advice. His success has been attributed to his skill in simplifying complex issues into clear, logical arguments.
Brian has represented clients in dozens of federal and state courts throughout the country. He has coordinated the defense of those cases on a national, regional and local basis. He has been involved in several jury trials and first-chaired multiple bench trials, arbitrations, and mediations. He has taken and defended hundreds of depositions and retained experts in multiple disciplines, including engineering (electrical, mechanical, materials), medical, economic, accounting, and fire science. He has successfully argued dozens of dispositive motions and prepared and argued winning appellate briefs to the Kansas Court of Appeals, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth and Fifth Circuits, the Missouri Supreme Court and the Illinois Court of Appeals.
Brian has served on the firm's Partnership Admission Committee and was a co-leader of the Construction & Design practice group for over five years. He has represented numerous pro bono clients through the Volunteer Attorney Project of Kansas City since 1996.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Managing Editor, University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Volunteer Attorney Project of Kansas City
- Co-Author, Cryptocurrency 101, Lathrop Gage Legal Alert, April 9, 2018
- Author, Missouri and Kansas Consumer Protection Acts, KCMBA Business Litigation Handbook (3d ed.), June 2017
- Author, Twombly’s Plausibility Standard in Product Liability Cases, Law Journal Newsletters, Product Liability Law & Strategy, June 2009
- Author, Tendering Claims to Manufacturers & Suppliers, Law Journal Newsletters, Product Liability Law & Strategy, April 2007
- Author, Expert Testimony in Products Litigation, Defense Research Institute, For the Defense, 2003
- Author, Employer Should Learn Law to Guard Trade Secrets, Kansas City Business Journal, Oct. 22-28, 1999
- Author, Attorney-Client & Work Product Privileges Waived When Witnesses Refresh Memory, 63 UMKC L. Rev. 309, 1994
- Speaker, “Regulation of Crypto, Tokens & Initial Coin Offerings,” Kansas City Techweek, October 9, 2018
- Speaker, “Statutory Consumer Protection Actions in Missouri and Kansas,” at KCMBA, June 7, 2017
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1996
Bradley University, B.S.,
Economics & Political Science,
magna cum laude, 1993