General Business and Complex Commercial Litigation
Lathrop & Gage has a well-earned reputation for excellence in complex business disputes. Our national footprint means we are regularly involved in cases in federal and state courts around the country.
We have vast experience at efficiently managing large complex cases, assessing and developing viable themes and strategies, reaching efficient resolutions and persuasively arguing cases in the courtroom. Our experience in litigating cases before judges and juries helps us achieve favorable results for our clients, whether it be at trial or in settlement.
When trial is not the goal, our attorneys also have extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation, arbitration and other techniques.
We employ an approach that allows us to create teams with knowledge and expertise in almost every area. We routinely combine experienced trial attorneys, specialists in other practice areas, support staff familiar with the latest case management techniques and technologies, and attorneys focusing in complex motion practice and appellate advocacy to provide a thorough analysis and presentation of the issues.
We work with every client to assess business issues as well as practical solutions in formulating a strategy at the outset of a case. That roadmap helps us determine an overall approach to the litigation — from which motions to file, to what positions to take on various issues, to how to effectively present the case to a judge or jury.
Our involvement in recent cases includes:
- Breach of contract
- Business torts
- Consumer class actions
- Governmental and administrative disputes
- Insurance coverage
- Lender liability
- Securities disputes
- Shareholder disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Real estate disputes
- Reinsurance treaty disputes
- Regulatory agency litigation
- Sale of goods
- Secured transaction
- Shareholder derivative actions
- Toxic torts
- White-collar criminal and civil investigations
- Represented major railroad in a complex arbitration involving interpretation of compensation apportionments under a long-term, multibillion-dollar intermodal accounting mechanics contract. Prevailed at arbitration.
- Received a favorable verdict in an international dispute between a Kansas corporation and a government-owned hat factory located in The People’s Republic of China. The jury awarded damages to our client on its claim for breach of contract. In addition, the case dealt with a foreign arbitration award that had been obtained against our client in the People’s Republic of China.
- Received a jury verdict of $2.1 million in Orange County, California on behalf of a large national oil company following a three-week trial and one-week jury deliberation. The case involved fraud perpetrated upon the lessees of gas stations. The jury found the defendant, another large oil company, had committed fraud in the procurement of the lease contract and awarded actual and punitive damages. The judge later reduced the judgment to $1.5 million. The matter is currently on appeal in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for award reduction and defendant’s attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained a $4.2 million verdict for clients who were victims in a landmark cattle fraud case described by the Federal Bureau of Investigations as the largest cattle fraud in U.S. history. Our client borrowed money from the defendant for the purchase and custom feeding of cattle. The cattle were to be acquired and fed by a third-party cattle buyer, but it was later learned the cattle buyer had defrauded our clients and many others out of their investments.
- June 7, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- June 11, 2010
- January 4, 2008
- T: 816.460.5530
- T: 816.460.5326
- T: 212.850.6225
- T: 312.920.3302
- T: 720.931.3206
- T: 310.789.4602