Lathrop & Gage attorneys have significant experience representing clients in the farming and agribusiness industry. We serve as general counsel and provide legal assistance in the areas of business litigation, employment law, intellectual property, environmental, insurance regulation and bankruptcy issues, as well as general corporate and tax matters. In addition, we have handled issues relating to most federal agribusiness statutes as well as state laws and workplace-safety concerns. Some disputes are unavoidable and when litigation is necessary, Lathrop & Gage helps agribusiness clients achieve the best results possible. We have achieved success nationwide in matters involving bankruptcy, construction, employment and more.
Due to the broad nature of this industry’s laws, our agribusiness group is made up of a cross section of attorneys with area-specific acumen within the firm.
- Successfully defended one of the world’s largest producers of pork in a nuisance case brought in Jackson County, Missouri. Plaintiffs were neighbors of one of our client’s farms and claimed they were damaged by odor from the 80,000 hogs, waste lagoons, and application of manure-based fertilizer at the farm. They sought damages of $20 million, but we obtained a total defense verdict. We are defending the company in several similar lawsuits.
- Serve as primary outside intellectual property counsel for the Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council and the MidAmerica Research and Development Corp., for whom we obtain patents and provide advice related to a variety of chemical and biotechnology inventions based upon technologically enhanced soy products.
- Settled favorably for our client a multimillion-dollar breach of contract case involving the selling and shipping of tons of chicken legs and quarters to Russia.
- Represent a corporate client in the farming industry seeking recovery from their insurers for litigation stemming from nuisance and tort claims. Filed
coverage suit on client’s behalf against multiple insurance companies. Settled for full policy limits.
- Serve as primary outside intellectual property counsel for Big Bend Agri Services, which specializes in agricultural chemicals, including fungicides and fertilizers used by citrus growers worldwide. We help to secure patent and trademark protection for such chemicals, and provide counsel on licensing, litigation and enforcement.