Jean Paul Bradshaw II
Mr. Bradshaw has experience in white-collar criminal defense, complex civil litigation, class actions, internal corporate investigations, and the establishment of corporate preventative law programs that comply with federal requirements.
Representative experience includes:
- Defended a large distribution electric cooperative in class action involving claims that the installation of fiber optic cables partially for commercial use violated the easements over the underlying landowners’ properties. Secured summary judgment on more than 75 percent of the claims prior to settlement.
- Defended a multi-national food company against several hundred claims across the state that the company’s hog barns created a nuisance. Won defense verdicts in two trials prior to settlement of the remaining claims.
- Represented two hospitals in separate class action cases in which plaintiffs sought damages under the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, as well as other theories, because of the hospitals’ billing practices. Won summary judgment in the trial court and won affirmance of that judgment in the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Conducted internal investigation that found that corporate officer had stolen more than $700,000 from the public company. The results of the investigation were used by federal prosecutors to pursue charges and obtain full restitution for the company.
- Conducted internal investigation and represented public company in criminal investigation into whether company officials had destroyed documents that were to be produced to the EPA. This included litigation over a search warrant that involved all of the company’s electronic records and e-mail. No criminal charges were brought against the company or any employee or officer.
- Represented an agricultural and food production company in multiple cases involving 280 plaintiffs who brought claims regarding odor nuisance, emanating from hog farms across Missouri. The representation involved more than 10+ individual cases and three cases that went to trial.
- Successfully defended a large animal agriculture company in multiple nuisance cases leading to Lathrop Gage working with state communities and Government Affairs to redefine Missouri nuisance law for both temporary and permanent nuisance.
- Worked with Mo AG’s office to consolidate existing state court consent decrees (3) and to change the termination provisions on Missouri’s nuisance laws. Resulted in extending consent judgment to install specific technology in the barns. We continue to negotiate on the federal decree.
- Representing multiple companies on odor nuisance cases. Includes work on issues such as zoning, emergency reporting requirements and emissions.
- Represented large food production company in a case that alleged company executives had destroyed computer backup tapes containing information needed in EPA civil investigation.
- Represented a major hotel chain in connection with allegations that they had bribed a member of the Kansas City port authority to get a gaming license in KC. Negotiated agreement which allowed the chain to keep more than a dozen gaming licenses in the US and Canada.
- Represented a major corporation with diverse portfolio of companies in connection allegations that employees were taking bribes to steer business to particular vendors. We determined that employees had received over $2.5 million in bribes that had cost the company several million dollars in over-charges as a result. Ultimately resolved with a judgment against perpetrator in a federal court in Texas.
- Represented large corporation in an investigation in which a high-ranking executive embezzled approximately $850,000. The firm was able to recover all of that money through getting proceeds from their ESOP account and presenting the case to a federal prosecutor.
Additionally, Mr. Bradshaw has served in the following:
- United States Attorney, Western District of Missouri, 1989-93.
- Formed first healthcare fraud task force in Missouri in 1992.
- Chairman-Elect and Member, United States Attorney General’s Advisory Committee—Subcommittees on Sentencing Guidelines, Office Management and Budget, 1991-93.
- Member, Economic Crimes Council, U.S. Department of Justice, 1989-93.
- Member, Governor’s Commission on Crime, 1989-93.
- Special Assistant Attorney General State of Missouri, 1985-89.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2006-2016
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2018
- Selected as a “Leading Lawyer” by Chambers USA, 2005-2017
- United States Attorney General’s Special Commendation Award, 1993
- Ad Hoc Group Against Crime Justice Award, 1993
- Outstanding Recent Graduate Award, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, 1991
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- February 26, 2015
- Appointed by Missouri governor to Senate Reapportionment Commission, 2012
- NCAA Division II Committee on Infractions, Appointed 2005
- President, Board of Trustees of St. Paul’s Episcopal Day School, 1997-present
- President, University of Missouri-Columbia Law School Alumni Association, 1990-91
- Chairman, Greene County Republican Central Committee, 1988-89
- President, Missouri Association of Republicans, 1986-87
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Criminal Justice Sections
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Presenter, Trends and Issues Currently Pending in Missouri and Kansas, Association of Corporate Counsel – Mid-America Chapter, April 2014
- Presenter, How to Get CEOs and Governing Boards to Care About Compliance ... and other tall tales, Missouri Hospital Association Leadership Forum, 2006
- Presenter, Compliance Programs, three regional seminars for the Missouri Hospital Association,1998
- Presenter, Corporate Compliance Plans—A Curse or Blessing? 1997 Health Care Financial Management Association Annual National Institute, Orlando, Florida
- Presenter, Compliance Programs for Health Care Organizations, 1996 Nevada Association of Hospital and Health Systems, 36th Annual Meeting
- Presenter, Compliance Programs for Health Care Organizations, five regional presentations in 1996 for the Missouri Hospital Association
- One of authors within firm of Compliance Manual for Members of the Missouri Hospital Association, 1998
- In addition to the above state and national presentations, Mr. Bradshaw has spoken on corporate compliance and health care fraud issues at seminars for various local groups and at the University of Missouri–Kansas City Bloch School of Business.
- September 25, 2015
- December 17, 2013
- February 7, 2012
- February 1, 2012
- October 24, 2011
- July 19, 2011
- June 24, 2011
- November 7, 2008
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- November 21, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 24, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- June 11, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- June 11, 2009
- June 13, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., 1981
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.J., 1981