Eric D. Sidler
Eric Sidler focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and has experience representing companies in a wide range of industries in patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets disputes in federal courts throughout the country. Mr. Sidler’s experience spans all phases of litigation, from initial case investigation through trial and appeal.
In addition to his IP litigation experience, Mr. Sidler also has experience litigating a variety of non-IP disputes on behalf of corporate and individual clients in federal and state courts, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings—including insurance coverage, employment, construction, breach of contract, and business tort disputes. Most recently before joining Lathrop Gage, Mr. Sidler represented a Fortune 200 insurance company in third-party liability insurance coverage disputes in federal and state courts throughout the country.
In 2013 and 2014, Mr. Sidler served as a law clerk to Judge Lynn J. Bush of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, in Washington, D.C.
Representative IP Litigation
- Represented sports industry client in successful prosecution of domain-name, trade secret, and trademark enforcement action. Drafted motion for preliminary injunction resulting in entry of early consent judgment in favor of client.
- Represented software company in prosecution of claims under Defend Trade Secrets Act to prevent the threatened disclosure of proprietary information by state agency pursuant to open records law. Obtained preliminary injunction preventing disclosure.
- Represented music industry client in successful defense against claim of copyright infringement. Successfully negotiated favorable settlement at mediation.
- Represented toy industry client in successful prosecution of copyright, trade dress, and false advertising suit against competitor. Drafted opposition to motion to dismiss leading to negotiation of early settlement on terms favorable to client.
- Represented agribusiness client in successful prosecution of chemical patent and trade secret enforcement action. Drafted opposition to motion for summary judgment leading to negotiation of multi-million dollar settlement in favor of client.
- Represented nationally-recognized mortgage lender in successful prosecution of several trademark, trade dress, and copyright enforcement actions resulting in early and favorable settlements.
- Represented aerospace, defense, and sporting goods company in successful defense against claim of copyright infringement. Drafted motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal with prejudice of all claims against client.
Significant Non-IP Experience
- Represented major third-party liability insurers in coverage actions in federal and state courts and administrative proceedings.
- Represented manufacturer of laser vision correction systems in shareholder dispute. Drafted successful opposition to demand for indemnification of attorney’s fees and costs, persuading the court to adopt client’s position on a novel, “bet-the-company” legal issue, ultimately leading to favorable resolution for client.
- Represented hedge fund manager in employment dispute with former employer. Significant role in three-attorney team achieving seven-figure monetary award on behalf of client through arbitration.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2017
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Managing Editor, The George Washington International Law Review, Volume 43
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with High Honors, 2011
Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Lynn J. Bush, U.S. Court of Federal Claims