R. Cameron Garrison
Mr. Garrison represents consumer product manufacturers, retail chains, marketing and media clients and others in intellectual property litigation. He has significant experience in high-stakes patent, trademark, false advertising, copyright and trade secret litigations. His recent successes include an eight-figure jury verdict in a false advertising dispute and a seven-figure settlement for a manufacturing client, a competitively injured plaintiff in false marking litigation. Mr. Garrison currently chairs the firm’s recruiting committee.
His practice spans the nation, with recent matters in California, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, New York, Texas and Wyoming.
- First-chaired two-week false advertising jury trial resulting in eight-figure verdict in favor of our client and defense verdict in favor of our client on all counterclaims.
- First-chaired successful defense of major infant and toddler product manufacturer against claims of false advertising and unfair competition, resulting in denial of motions for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction; rulings affirmed by Ninth Circuit. Munchkin, Inc. v. Playtex Products, LLC, 2001 WL 2174383 (C.D. Cal. 2011); Munchkin, Inc. v. Playtex Products, LLC, 455 Fed. Appx. 748 (9th Cir. 2011).
- First-chaired representation of competitively injured false marking plaintiff that resulted in seven-figure settlement in favor of our client in one of the few cases of its kind after the passage of false marking revisions in the America Invents Act.
- First-chaired successful defense of online service provider against claims of infringement of source-code copyright in a “bet-the-company” litigation.
- First-chaired successful defense of home builder against claims of architectural copyright infringement resulting in significant discovery rulings in favor of our client and settlement on extremely favorable terms.
- Led successful prosecution of trademark infringement and dilution claims in dispute over rights to 14 federal trademark registrations, resulting in temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction and permanent injunction against defendant and recovery of all rights asserted by our client.
- Second-chaired successful defense of complex patent, trademark, unfair competition and antitrust case, including a “bet-the-company” injunction proceeding, in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Second-chaired successful defense of potential nine-figure patent case in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire against a prominent national IP firm resulting in multiple favorable Markman rulings and ultimately summary judgment on all claims.
- Led successful declaratory judgment action resulting in opposing party, whose federally registered trademark has been in use for over 80 years, agreeing to a Co-existence Agreement that allowed our client to continue use of its eight-year-old mark.
Mr. Garrison also counsels a wide range of manufacturing, entertainment, Internet, marketing and media clients on diverse matters such as development and valuation of intellectual property portfolios, licensing of intellectual property, resolution of domain name disputes, trademark and copyright prosecution, risk management, noninfringement opinions, and technological and operational issues.
Representative Business Counseling
- Primary intellectual property counsel to major Kansas City company in the health care industry, including directing development of patent and trademark portfolio.
- Primary intellectual property counsel to media-technology company, including directing development of patent, trademark and copyright portfolio
- Directed management of large, international trademark portfolios for several international corporations.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017
- Selected by The Kansas City Business Journal, 2013 Class of NextGen Leaders
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Selected as a 2013 “Rising Star” by KC Business
- Selected by Ingram’s Magazine, 2012 Class of “40 Under 40”
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” - 2009 - 2012
- November 27, 2012
- Board of Directors, St. Luke’s Hospital, Children's SPOT - 2010-present
- Board of Directors, Lawyers Association of Kansas City - Young Lawyers Section, 2006-2010
- Board of Directors, Kansas City Young Audiences, 2004-2008
- Board of Directors, Washington & Lee Alumni Association's Kansas City Chapter, 2003-2006
- Graduate of Kansas City Tomorrow, 33rd Class
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Author, “Good Internal Policies Are Best Safeguard to Protect Firm from Online Privacy Liability;” Boulder County Business Report, July 9-22, 2004
- Author, “Web Site Privacy Policies Must Give Users Notice, Choice, Access, Security;” Kansas City Business Journal, March 5-11, 2004
- Author, Legal Issues Relating to Internet Security and Privacy, National Business Institute Seminar - Technology Law: An Advanced Approach, December 2003
Speaker, Corporate Counsel’s 7th Annual IP Trademark, Copyright & Licensing Forum: Strategies for Safeguarding Your Brand in the Digital Era, The University Club, New York, NY, November 3, 2015.
- Speaker, Structuring your “All Natural,” “Gluten-Free,” “Organic” and “Grass-Fed” Marketing and Advertising Campaigns to Mitigate Litigation and Enforcement, ACI 3rd Annual Advanced Regulatory and Compliance Summit on Food & Beverage Marketing and Advertising, July 17, 2013
- Speaker, Developments and Considerations in False Advertising Claims, National Law Journal Complex Litigation Series, November 2012
Speaker, IP Resources for Non-IP Attorneys, May 2010
- Speaker, Lathrop & Gage State of Litigation Seminar, May 2010
- Speaker, Intellectual Property in Film, University of Southern California Graduate School of Cinematic Arts, February 25, 2009
- Speaker, Valuing and Defending Your IP Portfolio, Lathrop & Gage Webinar, January 21, 2009
- Speaker, Protecting Your Internet Assets and Enforcing Your Rights Online, Lathrop & Gage Webinar, January 14, 2009
- Speaker, Protecting Your Trademarks and Enforcing Your Intellectual Property, Lathrop & Gage Brunch and Learn, November 14, 2008
- November 22, 2016
- November 4, 2015
- April 17, 2015
- April 14, 2015
- December 29, 2014
- May 9, 2013
- July 30, 2012
- The Kansas City Business Journal: Lathrop & Gage Attorneys Win a $13.5 Million Verdict from a California JuryJuly 30, 2012
- July 26, 2012
- August 16, 2016
- March 19, 2015
- March 12, 2015
- April 22, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- July 26, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- Does the First Amendment Cover Online Impostors? David Barnard, Cameron Garrison Offer Potential Panel at South by Southwest Interactive FestivalAugust 18, 2010
- December 14, 2009
- November 26, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2002
University of Virginia, B.A., Government; B.A., History, 1996