Brian C. Fries
Mr. Fries has extensive trial practice, arbitration, and mediation experience in a variety of litigation matters throughout the United States.
His experience includes disputes arising from general business transactions, consumer class actions and single plaintiff claims, healthcare litigation, business torts, accounting negligence claims, real estate transactions, business ownership disputes, banking related claims, personal injury claims, and a variety of tort, breach of contract and fraud claims.
Mr. Fries also provides general outside legal services to privately owned businesses.
Class Action Experience
- Defense of hospital system in consumer class actions relating to charges for providing medical records.
- Defense of national pharmacy in consumer class action relating to charges for providing medical records.
- Defense of medical records provider in consumer class action relating to charges for providing medical records.
- Defense of university in class action brought by former student athletes and parents alleging violations of Kansas Consumer Protection Act due to “safety” representation regarding campus. Obtained complete dismissal on motion to dismiss based upon lack of standing.
- Defense of TCPA class actions relating to automated dialers and alleged TCPA violations.
- Representation of hospital in class action and obtaining of summary judgment in claim alleging improper disclosure of Protected Health Information through Business Associate agreement.
- Defense of commercial automobile insurance carrier in several class actions relating to policy language and interpretation.
- Defense of sport vehicle manufacturer in several consumer class actions relating to sales transactions.
- Defense of financial institution in class action relating to electronic bill payment transactions.
- Defense of consumer fraud class action relating to advertising for medical procedures.
- Defense of title insurance company in class action seeking nationwide certification of class.
- Defense of consumer class actions relating to unsolicited faxes.
- Representation of telemarketing entities in national class actions and attorney general investigations.
- Defense of odor nuisance class actions.
- Defense of numerous cases brought by customers of one of the world’s largest financial institutions.
- Trial judgment for bank in defense of claim relating to alleged wrongful dishonor of cashier’s check based upon failures in negotiability of underlying checks. Plaintiff alleged significant economic and non-economic harm, and asked the court for punitive damages, seeking in total over $25 million dollars in damages.
- Defense of national accounting firm in several cases relating to negligence claims.
- Defense of energy trading company in litigation relating to fraudulent third-party commodity trader.
- Trial judgment for business purchaser to obtain $1.5 million earnest money deposit in real estate transaction and attorney’s fees.
- Representation of international company in litigation relating to asset sale agreement.
- Several cases involving representation of officers, limited partners and general partners in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Representation of purchasers in fraud case resulting from commercial real estate transactions with underlying environmental contamination.
- Representation of educational product licensor in dispute with licensees.
- Representation of employers in enforcement of restrictive covenants with former employees.
- Defense of directors and officers of life insurance company in action brought by receiver.
- Representation of seller of manufacturing facility in indemnity and breach of contract action brought by purchaser relating to environmental liabilities.
- Representation of insureds in coverage disputes with insurance companies.
- Pro bono representation of board of directors of charitable organization.
Mr. Fries served on the Executive Committee of Lathrop Gage LLP, and chaired the firm’s Litigation Division practice group for several years.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Fries was a financial analyst and examiner for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
Mr. Fries is active in supporting and officiating youth sports. He has served as President of the parent's board of a competitive swim team and on the board of a high school lacrosse league.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation, the Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2018
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011-2018
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2008-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Order of the Coif
- Board of Advocates
- Editor-in-Chief, Missouri Law Review
- The Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (former Legal Adviser to Board), Member, Business Litigation Committee
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Former Chairman, “Crackdown on Crackhouses,” Young Lawyers Section
- Former Participant, Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court
- Former Member, Eighth Circuit Subcommittee on Civil Jury Instructions
- Earl E. O’Connor American Inn of Court
- Kansas City Tomorrow Program, Class XXVIII
- Author: Chapter 17, Class Actions In Missouri and Kansas, KCMBA Business Litigation Handbook (3d ed.), 2017
- Author: Officers and Directors in the Crossfire: Increased Litigation Risks from Shareholder Derivative Lawsuits. Bloomberg Corporate Law Journal, Winter 2009.
- Author: Recent Amendments to the Bankruptcy Code: A Politically Motivated Less Fresh Start, 56 Missouri Law Review, 1991
- November 9, 2017
- October 16, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- July 9, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 26, 2010
- August 25, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- July 11, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
Arizona State University, B.S., Finance, 1987