Brian C. Fries
Mr. Fries has extensive trial practice, arbitration, and mediation experience in complex litigation disputes throughout the United States.
Mr. Fries serves on the Executive Committee of Lathrop & Gage LLP, and chairs the firm’s Litigation Division.
His experience includes disputes arising from general business transactions, director and officer liability claims, real estate transactions, shareholder and securities litigation, partnership disputes, insurance coverage disputes, consumer class action and single plaintiff claims, banking related claims, and a variety of breach of contract and fraud claims.
Some of his cases include the following:
- Trial verdict for business purchaser to obtain $1.5 million earnest money deposit in real estate transaction and attorney’s fees.
- Defense of numerous cases brought by customers of one of the world’s largest financial institutions.
- Defense of sport vehicle manufacturer in several consumer class actions.
- Defense of financial institution in class action relating to electronic bill payment transactions.
- Defense of consumer fraud class action relating to medical procedures.
- Defense of title insurance company in class action seeking nationwide certification of class.
- Representation of telemarketing entities in national class actions and attorney general investigations.
- Representation of international company in litigation relating to asset sale agreement.
- Several cases involving representation of limited partners and general partners in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Representation of purchasers in fraud case resulting from commercial real estate transactions with underlying environmental contamination.
- Representation of educational product licensor in dispute with licensees.
- Representation of employers in enforcement of restrictive covenants with former employees.
- Defense of directors and officers of insurance company in action brought by receiver.
- Representation of seller of manufacturing facility in indemnity and breach of contract action brought by purchaser relating to environmental liabilities.
- Representation of insureds in coverage disputes with insurance companies.
- Pro bono representation of board of directors of charitable organization.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Fries was a financial analyst and examiner for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
Mr. Fries is a frequent speaker at legal seminars, and is active in supporting and officiating youth sports.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation, the Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2011 and 2013
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011-2013
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2008-2012
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Order of the Coif
- Board of Advocates
- Editor-in-Chief, Missouri Law Review
- June 23, 2011
- The Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Former Chairman, “Crackdown on Crackhouses,” Young Lawyers Section
- Former Participant, Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court
- Former Member, Eighth Circuit Subcommittee on Civil Jury Instructions
- Earl E. O’Connor American Inn of Court
- Kansas City Tomorrow Program
- Author: Recent Amendments to the Bankruptcy Code: A Politically Motivated Less Fresh Start, 56 Missouri Law Review, 1991
- November 7, 2008
- May 17, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- July 9, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 26, 2010
- August 25, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- July 11, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
Arizona State University, B.S., Finance, 1987