Lathrop Gage has a strong tradition of providing outstanding legal services to schools and universities throughout the country. We assist with charitable giving programs including the preparation of legal documents necessary for the design, planning and execution of successful deferred giving programs, such as charitable remainder trusts, gifts of stock of closely held corporations and life insurance.
We represent both large and small school districts and universities and understand the often conflicting demands that must be addressed within the context of decreasing resources, the increasingly stringent regulatory environment imposed by federal and state laws, and insistence on higher and higher levels of student achievement and staff accountability
Our experience, combined with active memberships in professional organizations such as the National Association of College and University Attorneys and the National School Board Association Council of School Attorneys, enables us to remain on the cutting edge of developments in education law and school governance and to assist our school district clients in resolving these conflicting demands.
Additionally, our members gain a greater understanding of the needs of education law clients through serving on the boards of many schools and universities.
- Reviewed and negotiated leases, provided advice regarding employee contracts, prepared and advised the Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative about independent contractor contracts used by the organization to hire independent contractors for various purposes, assisted in terminating employees, drafted and negotiated book and television production contracts, provided advice regarding various intellectual property matters, registered a trade name, and provided general advice on various subjects.
- Provide assistance and advice to Camp Fire USA on the selection and federal registration of trademarks and service marks, the protection of those marks, the preparation of agreements and policy documents to support programs, real estate matters, and other legal topics that arise in the course of the organization’s operations.
- Represented Lawyers Encouraging Academic Performance in various matters including filing income tax returns and registration issues.
- Provide comprehensive, technical support to the development efforts of the Curators of the University of Missouri for all of the University’s four campuses. The support includes technical assistance in developing planned gift proposals, charitable giving vehicles such as charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts, and gifts of real estate and closely held stock, including S corporation stock.
- Work with the planned giving department at Kansas University Endowment Association. This includes all aspects of planned giving from reviewing documents and plans to discussing alternative plans with a client’s advisor or the charity staff.
- Represent Kansas State University Foundation in connection with strategies for implementing and receiving planned gifts, issues arising in the management and administration of planned gifts, as well as general legal matters, tax, and governance.