R. Scott Beeler
Mr. Beeler focuses his practice on complex business litigation and transactions with emphasis in all phases of commercial, land use, real estate, development, construction, multi-party and business transactional matters.
His experience includes:
- Head of Firm's Real Estate Litigation Group.
- Counsel for ScriptPro LLC a world leader in pharmaceutical robotics and pharmacy systems.
- Counsel for New Directions Behavioral Health a national behavioral health company.
- Property Tax Litigation counsel to Home Depot and Target. Current representation includes multiple cases before Kansas Board of Tax Appeals and Kansas Appellate Courts.
- Racing and Gaming counsel to Ruffin Properties.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of billion dollar damage and corporate takeover dispute involving claims of fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Testified in numerous hearings before Kansas State House of Representatives and Senate.
- Personal injury and wrongful death representation.
- Practice before numerous governmental bodies in Douglas, Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas; including cities of Lawrence, Overland Park, Lenexa, Leawood, Shawnee, Merriam, Kansas City, Olathe, Basehor among others.
- Practice before the Johnson County Board of Commissioners and the Unified Government of Wyandotte County in Kansas.
- Counsel for Stanley Bank and Farmer’s Bank. Financial institution litigation and real estate work.
- Counsel for numerous real estate developers and companies including: Arch Design Builders, Julian Morrissey Horn Development, Zarda Brothers, Fishman and Company, and others. Projects include real estate development, planning, zoning, land use and related environmental issues, lending, complex contract disputes and commercial litigation.
- Zoning and permit applications and litigation across Kansas and Missouri for establishment of complete wireless communication network and attendant issues under the Telecommunications Act.
- Extensive case experience involving Engineering (including geotechnical, mechanical and structural engineering), and other construction law issues. Clients include: Kaw Valley Engineering, Weigel Construction, Building Erection Services, Midwest Crane and Arch Design. Lead counsel in numerous construction default and defect cases, including representation of multiple homeowners in the nationally-reported Turnberry home collapse cases, and representation of numerous other property owners in landslide and subsidence cases.
- Counsel for developers of Ironhorse Golf Course in Leawood, KS, Brookridge Country Club in Overland Park, KS and Lakeside Hills Golf Club in Olathe, KS; Leawood South Country Club in Leawood, KS; Prairie Highlands Golf Course in Olathe, KS; Falcon Ridge Golf Course in Lenexa, KS; and Falcon Lakes Golf Course in Basehor, KS.
- Extensive condemnation experience including prosecution of claims and appeals resulting from projects in Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee, Merriam, Johnson County and Wyandotte County, KS. Served as one of firm lead counsel representing Knickerbocker Properties (Corporate Woods) and Brookridge Country Club regarding condemnation takings related to the improvements planned for I-435 and the Antioch/435 Interchange.
- Special advisor with regard to gaming and gaming-related issues and other legal matters for publicly traded company.
- Counsel to Miami Tribe of Oklahoma with regard to gaming-related issues.
- Counsel to federally recognized Shawnee Indian Tribe. Trial counsel in Federal Court matters related to re-establishment of Tribal reservation ground in Johnson County, Kansas; prosecution of Treaty based claims against the United States; litigation in support of transfer of Sunflower Ammunition Facility to trust for benefit of Shawnee Tribe.
- Co-authored Kansas Parimutuel Racing Act and state owned and operated Gaming Legislation in Kansas.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Named the Kansas City, Mo. Litigation – Insurance “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America®, 2020
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011 - 2020
- Named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2013, 2018 and 2020 “Litigation Stars”
- Named the Kansas City, Kan. Litigation – Land Use and Zoning “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, 2013 & 2018
- Named as Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2008
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2008, 2013-2014 and 2018
- Chambers USA, Kansas Litigation, 2007-2013, 2018, 2019
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Speaker, Lathrop Gage State of Litigation, June 2013
- October 8, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- May 3, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- October 16, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- August 12, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- September 12, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- August 6, 2010
- June 11, 2010
- June 18, 2009
- June 11, 2009
- June 13, 2008
- March 21, 2008
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1979
University of Kansas, B.A., Honors Program, 1976