Peter F. Daniel
Peter Daniel has practiced in the fields of product liability, professional liability, premises liability (slips, trips and false arrest), transportation litigation (automobile, trucking and railroad), toxic tort, personal injury, wrongful death and commercial litigation. He has advised companies and worked on cases and matters involving boats, guns, ammunition, hunting accessories, tractors, combines, crawler dozers, skid steers, articulating loaders, pet food contamination, cranes, hay balers, automated manufacturing equipment, forage harvesters, grain drills, exercise equipment, children's shoes and toys, cultivators, tires and wheels, utility vehicles, chicken catchers, byproducts of agricultural production, propane (fires, explosions and carbon monoxide exposure), water heaters, smokers and ovens, beverage grade alcohol, school buses, chickens, hogs, windows, siding, roofs, contaminated and adulterated food products, pumps, swimming pool accessories, chemical exposure and commercial food processing equipment. Peter has worked on cases throughout the Midwest and as distant as Florida and California.
For the past 15 years, Peter has advised lawyers on ethical issues and duties including responding to subpoenas, preparation for testimony and avoiding malpractice.
Some of Peter’s representative experience includes:
- Successfully defended a chemical manufacturer and distributor in 15 state court lawsuits and a federal class action brought by hundreds of plaintiffs in northwest Missouri alleging that exposure to components of a land-applied, manufacturing sludge used as fertilizer resulted in wide-spread cancers and loss of property values over a multiple-county area. After securing summary judgment on all theories in the lead state court case and the class action in federal court, all remaining lawsuits were dismissed.
- Successfully represented waste management company in two class actions filed in 2014. The second action was brought by different class representatives and alleged negligence and nuisance. It included subclasses including business owners, business employees and mortgage holders for all property located within three miles of the landfill and residents living in the second and third miles around the landfill. This matter was dismissed without prejudice, on motion of the Plaintiffs, in January 2016 following discovery, which was prior to class certification briefing. (The first class action was dismissed as well.)
- Represented client in a wrongful death claim against two parties for an auto accident. The firm demonstrated multiple sources of liability through extensive discovery that uncovered unsafe driving conditions in the truck that caused the fatal accident, fraudulent reporting on inspection reports and lax inspection practices. Our client received a substantial and favorable settlement.
- Defended a leading manufacturer of construction equipment against a product liability suit following a fatal accident involving our client's equipment. Lathrop Gage secured a defense verdict with no appeal and no required compensation by our client.
Peter is an avid outdoor activity enthusiast and enjoys cycling, beekeeping, and backpacking/hiking; some of his favorite backpacking and hiking experience include Peru, Colorado and Kauai.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Named the Kansas City, Mo. Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America®, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2014-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Shawnee Mission Education Foundation, 2005-2007
- Board of Directors, Arthritis Foundation Western Missouri/Greater Kansas City Chapter, 1993-2000, Chair, 1995-1996
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Young Lawyers' Section, Board of Directors, 1987-1988
- Presenter and panelist, Ethics presentations, Lathrop Gage State of Litigation, 2017
- Presenter, "Sign of the Times: Trends & Developments in Case Law Impacting Safety & Health Professionals," Kansas Department of Labor's Annual Safety & Health Conference, Wichita, Kansas, October 19, 2016
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- August 15, 2013
- October 10, 2008
- May 5, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Order of the Coif
- Lead Articles Editor, Missouri Law Review, 1985-86
- Member, Missouri Law Review, 1984-85
Drury University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1983