Nicole Sassu, Ph.D.
Dr. Nicole Sassu is a Technical Specialist in the firm's Intellectual Property team, focusing her work efforts on the pharmaceutical industry. She focuses on organic chemistry, having served as a graduate research assistant at the University of Connecticut in the chemistry department and an intern at Boehringer Ingelheim in the chemical development division of process chemistry. Dr. Sassu has experience in both total synthesis and method development.
Prior to joining the team at Lathrop Gage, Dr. Sassu worked under a multi-million dollar research grant from the National Institutes of Health, where she generated a library of glycosphingolipid analogs. These immunostimulatory compounds were explored as both cancer therapies and vaccine adjuvants. While at Boehringer Ingelheim, Dr. Sassu developed a novel, titanium-free method of generating chiral N-substituted ketimines. These compounds are considered highly useful synthetic intermediates for stereoselective induction of asymmetry in active pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 2017
- Graduate Student Travel Award Recipient, 2017
- Three Minute Thesis Competition, Second Place Recipient, 2016
- Undergraduate Research Grant, 2011-2013
- American Chemical Society, 2013 - Present
- Phi Lambda Upsilon: Alpha Phi Chapter, 2013 - Present
- Sigma Xi Research Honor Society, 2013
- Co-Author, Pd-Catalyzed Acyl C-O Bond Activation for Selective Ring-Opening on a-Methylene-b-lactones with Amines, Organic Letters, 2017
- Co-Author, Cross Dehyrogenative Coupling of N-Aryltetrahydroisoquinolines (sp3 C-H) with Indoles (sp2 C-H) Using Heterogeneous Mesoporous Manganese Oxide Catalyst, Green Chemistry, 2017
- Presenter, Synthesis of Carbohydrate Modified Analogs of α-Galactosyl-ceramides for Th1 Biased iNKT Cell Activation, Gordon Research Conference: Organic Reactions and Processes, 2017
- Presenter, Synthesis of Naphthyridine/Azaquinolone Analogs for the Disruption of TNR Expansions in the Base Excision Repair Mechanism, ACS Meeting, 2013