Mark A. Bluhm
With Mark Bluhm, you get much more than a 30-year, Chambers-rated business lawyer. He was a co-founder of a startup healthcare company, a bank director for 25 years, and graduated at the top of his MBA class. Mark was the Chief Executive Officer of Lathrop Gage LLP (an AmLaw 200 law firm with more than 500 employees in 10 offices) for more than four years, where he served on its Executive Committee for almost eight years, acted as the firm's Marketing Partner for nine years, and is currently the firm’s Chairman. The result is the rare breed of counselor who deeply understands how to pragmatically apply the law to maximize business results.
The following are representative transactions that highlights Mark’s range of experience:
Acquisitions / Dispositions
- Represented Silpada Designs, Inc. in the sale of its business to Avon Products, Inc. for $650 million in cash, and the subsequent repurchase of the company.
- Represented clients in acquisitions and divestitures with an aggregate value in excess of $1 billion during the three years before becoming Chief Executive Officer.
- Represented the stockholders of Ivy Animal Health, Inc. in their sale of the company to Eli Lilly and Company.
- Represented the shareholders of Russell Stover Candies, Inc. in their acquisition of Whitman's Candies from Pet Incorporated.
- Supervised and handled the sale, liquidation or other disposition of 17 subsidiaries of Franklin Savings Association during the three-year period after the Resolution Trust Corporation was appointed Franklin's conservator.
- Represented BlueScope Steel North America Corporation in several acquisitions.
- Represented Sprint PCS in structuring its PCS Affiliate Program and negotiating management, services and license agreements with companies to build-out and operate Sprint PCS networks in specific geographic regions.
- Represented Sprint PCS in obtaining financing for its PCS Affiliates, including syndicated senior secured financing, subordinated debt and public offerings of equity and high yield bonds, aggregating more than $3 billion.
- Represented Sprint PCS in its swaps of FCC spectrum licenses with AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile.
- Represented Sprint Spectrum Holding Company, L.P. in its acquisition of a partnership that holds a broadband personal communications services license for the Washington, D.C./Baltimore major trading area, and in the subsequent sale of the GSM System owned by that partnership to Omnipoint Corporation (a predecessor of T-Mobile).
- Created and executed all aspects of the sales process of a bank and bank holding company. This included drafting the disclosure material, identifying and contacting the potential buyers, managing the potential buyers’ diligence process, selecting the final purchase candidates, negotiating the price, business terms and purchase agreements, and closing the transaction successfully.
Start-ups / Business investments
- Co-founded a healthcare startup. The company successfully completed a multi-million dollar capital raise and negotiated several strategic alliances to enhance solutions.
- Represented several companies and individuals in their investments in unaffiliated businesses.
- Ingram's 250 Honoree, 2016-2019
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2020
- Chambers USA, Missouri Corporate, 2010-2018, Eminent Practitioner
- Super Lawyers, Missouri, Kansas, 2005-2013
- Washington University Law Quarterly, Executive Editor, 1979-80; Staff Member, 1978-79
- Master of Business Administration Scholar Award (awarded annually to two students by the Washington University MBA Faculty), 1978
- Martindale-Hubbell® "AV" Rating
- The Bacchus Foundation, Past President and Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Children's Center for the Visually Impaired, Former Member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors
- The Children's Place, Former Member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors
- The Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Former Member
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Kansas City Tomorrow, Year VIII Member
- Norbank, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- June 14, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- July 20, 2010
- July 12, 2010
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- June 8, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- May 17, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- August 3, 2009
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1980
Washington University, M.B.A., 1980
Stanford University, A.B., 1976