Jean Paul Bradshaw II
Former U.S. Attorney Jean Paul Bradshaw II has experience in white-collar criminal defense, complex civil litigation, class actions, and internal corporate investigations.
Chambers USA 2018 says that Jean Paul is “highly regarded, particularly for his white-collar criminal defense expertise. Here, he frequently advises major clients on a range of litigious matters, especially those pertaining to the healthcare and agribusiness industries.”
In addition to Jean Paul’s focus in the areas of white-collar, class actions and investigations, he also leads Lathrop Gage Consulting, a subsidiary of Lathrop Gage LLP that focuses on government affairs, lobbying, procurement and crisis management.
Representative experience includes:
- Represented large multi-national food production company in mass tort case involving hundreds of claims of odor nuisance from hog farms. Won defense verdicts in two trials prior to settlement of the remaining claims. Assisted in developing strategy for adoption of and drafted state legislation re-defining remedies for nuisance to bar future nuisance claims. The representation also included negotiating the termination of state court consent judgments and assisting with a federal court consent judgment related to environmental issues.
- Representing the Missouri Deer Association in a lawsuit against the Missouri Department of Conservation, involving the first challenge to Missouri’s “Right to Farm” constitutional amendment. After Lathrop Gage won in the trial court in Gasconade County, Missouri, in Sept. 2016, the case has gone to the Eastern District of Missouri Court of Appeals and then the Missouri Supreme Court.
- Defended a large distribution electric cooperative in a class action involving claims that the installation of fiber optic cables partially for commercial use violated the easements over the underlying landowners' properties. Secured summary judgment on more than 75 percent of the claims prior to settlement.
- Defended large hospital system in two separate class actions alleging overbilling, and lack of compliance with state statute regarding medical records requests. Both concluded with settlements favorable to the client and dismissals of the class actions.
- Represented large health system in lawsuit against another healthcare entity for violating Missouri’s Prompt Pay Statute in failing to timely to pay claims related to mental health services for Medicaid-eligible patients.
- Represented two hospitals in separate class action cases in which plaintiffs sought damages under the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, as well as other theories, because of the hospitals' billing practices. Won summary judgment in the trial court and won affirmance of that judgment in the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Represented and representing hospitals, managed care organizations, and physician groups, including in academic settings, with respect to claims under the False Claims Act, criminal investigations involving allegations of kickbacks, drug diversion, and other fraud, and administrative licensure actions.
- Conducted internal investigation that found that corporate officer had stolen more than $700,000 from the public company. The results of the investigation were used by federal prosecutors to pursue charges and obtain full restitution for the company.
- Conducted internal investigation and represented public company in criminal investigation into whether company officials had destroyed documents that were to be produced to the EPA. This included litigation over a search warrant that involved all of the company's electronic records and e-mail. No criminal charges were brought against the company or any employee or officer.
- Representing multiple companies on odor nuisance cases. Includes work on issues such as zoning, emergency reporting requirements and emissions.
- Represented large food production company in a case that alleged company executives had destroyed computer backup tapes containing information needed in EPA civil investigation.
- Represented a major hotel chain in connection with allegations that they had bribed a member of the Kansas City Port Authority to get a gaming license in KC. Negotiated agreement which allowed the chain to keep more than a dozen gaming licenses in the U.S. and Canada.
- Represented a major corporation with diverse portfolio of companies in connection with allegations that employees were taking bribes to steer business to particular vendors. We determined that employees had received over $2.5 million in bribes that had cost the company several million dollars in over-charges as a result. Ultimately resolved with a judgment against perpetrator in a federal court in Texas.Represented large corporation in an investigation in which a high-ranking executive embezzled approximately $850,000. The firm was able to recover all of that money through getting proceeds from their ESOP account and presenting the case to a federal prosecutor.
Additionally, Jean Paul has served in the following:
- United States Attorney, Western District of Missouri, 1989-93.
- Formed first federal healthcare fraud task force in Missouri, 1992.
- United States Attorney General's Advisory Committee, Member, 1991-1993, Chairman-Elect, 1993; Member, Subcommittees on Sentencing Guidelines, Office Management and Budget.
- Economic Crimes Council, Member, U.S. Department of Justice, 1989-93.
- Governor's Commission on Crime, Member, 1989-93.
- Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Missouri, 1985-89.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," 2019
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly “Law Firm Leader,” 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2007-2019
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2006-2017
- Chambers USA, “Leading Lawyer,” 2005-2017
- United States Attorney General's Special Commendation Award, 1993
- Ad Hoc Group Against Crime Justice Award, 1993
- Outstanding Recent Graduate Award, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, 1991
- Martindale-Hubbell® "AV" Rating
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, 2016-present
- The Missouri Bar, Committee on Complex Litigation, Co-Chair, 2015-present
- NCAA Division II Committee on Infractions, Appointed 2005-2014
- Missouri Senate Reapportionment Commission, Appointed by Missouri Governor, 2012
- St. Paul's Episcopal Day School, President of the Board of Trustees, 1995-2001; President, 1997-1999
- University of Missouri-Columbia Law School Alumni Association, President, 1990-1991
- Greene County Republican Central Committee, Chairman, 1988-1989
- President, Missouri Association of Republicans, 1986-1987
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Criminal Justice Sections
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
In addition to the recent presentations noted below, Jean Paul has presented numerous times to state and national hospital and healthcare groups on compliance programs, and on corporate compliance and healthcare fraud issues locally.
- The Responsible Corporate Officer Doctrine: Rank Doesn’t Always Have Its Privileges – Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys, November 2013
- Presenter, Trends and Issues Currently Pending in Missouri and Kansas, Association of Corporate Counsel - Mid-America Chapter, April 2014
- Presenter, How to Get CEOs and Governing Boards to Care About Compliance ... and other tall tales, Missouri Hospital Association Leadership Forum, 2006
- Missouri’s New Nuisance Laws: What Do They Mean? – Missouri Swine Institute, November 2011
- August 29, 2018
- July 23, 2018
- June 5, 2018
- October 11, 2017
- September 25, 2015
- December 17, 2013
- February 7, 2012
- February 1, 2012
- October 24, 2011
- July 19, 2011
- June 24, 2011
- November 7, 2008
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- February 2, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- June 8, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- November 21, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 24, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- June 11, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- June 11, 2009
- June 13, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., 1981
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.J., 1981