Jennifer S. Griffin
Jennifer has successfully represented clients in the public and private sectors for nearly 25 years. Before entering private practice, she interned for the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, clerked for the Supreme Court of Missouri, drafted legislation for the Missouri General Assembly, and litigated tax cases for the Missouri Department of Revenue.
Jennifer has a diverse practice focused primarily in the areas of administrative and regulatory law, business litigation, and advertising. She drafts legislation and regulations, and counsels clients regarding business activities and issues. Jennifer also advises clients concerning the conduct of promotional activities such as contests, sweepstakes, raffles and loyalty programs, and drafts promotional rules and associated marketing materials.
She practices before local, state and federal courts, departments, agencies, boards and commissions. She routinely handles litigation spawned by governmental actions including, but not limited to: challenges of statutes, regulations and ordinances; permit appeals; enforcement actions; business and occupational licensing matters; tax appeals; bid protests; and contracts. Jennifer also handles business litigation cases involving disputes over commercial leases, contracts, and partnership agreements. Jennifer has represented both for-profit and nonprofit entities, as well as individuals, cities, and counties.
- Obtained an order enjoining an unconstitutional state statute that would have imposed burdensome costs on Missouri counties.
- Won a lawsuit challenging a state license that allowed an automobile manufacture to sell its electric cars directly to Missouri consumers.
- Obtained relief from decisions to deny, revoke, and discipline numerous licenses, including those for long-term care and day care facilities, a funeral director, nursing home administrator, veterinarian, casino positions, accountants, and nurse.
- Obtained complete relief for a major health care provider in litigation over a state services contract.
- Defeated a challenge to the validity of a state permit for a concentrated animal feeding operation ("CAFO").
- Obtained a judgment invalidating a CAFO ordinance.
- Obtained a judgment reversing a decision to deny an application for a county health permit for a CAFO and awarding over $178,000 in damages.
- Achieved a $4.2 million jury verdict in a cattle fraud case involving a financial institution's breach of fiduciary duty.
- Won protests of state corporate income and franchise tax assessments, saving clients over $1.3 million in taxes.
- Achieved a full victory in a Medicaid overpayment case.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013 - 2019
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” - 2010 and 2011
- Named as an Up and Coming Attorney, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2008
- U.S. Army, JAG Corps: Cpt. 2004-05; 1 Lt. 1999-2003
- Senior Articles Editor, Saint Louis-Warsaw Transatlantic Law Journal
- Appointed Member, Missouri Board of Therapeutic Massage
- Cole County Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Missouri
- Missouri Society of Association Executives
- Missouri Assisted Living Association
- FTC Whittles Away “Up To” Claims, InsideCounsel, January 3, 2013
- Missouri Gaming Commission, Chapter 18 in Missouri Administrative Law, Fourth Edition 2011, the Missouri Bar
- Speaker, Raffles, Contests and Sweepstakes, Nonprofit Conversations Seminar, Lathrop Gage LLP, February 2015
- Speaker, Missouri Administrative Hearing Commission, Missouri Assisted Living Association Conference, October 2014
- Speaker, Contracts, Missouri Society of Association Executives Roundtables, November 2013
- Speaker, Gaming Law Sweepstakes, Contests and Beyond, Fifteen-Hour Review of the Law, UMKC School of Law, June 2009
- Speaker, Gaming Law: Know When to Hold 'em and Know When to Fold 'em, November 2005
- December 8, 2017
- October 1, 2015
- November 14, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- August 15, 2013
- August 22, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- January 4, 2008
314 E. High StreetJefferson City, MO 65101
3610 Buttonwood DriveSuite 200Columbia, MO 65201
Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., 1992
- Law Clerk, Honorable Edward D. Robertson, II, Supreme Court of Missouri
- Intern, Honorable Myron H. Bright, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals