Hissan Anis is an experienced intellectual property attorney and provides strategic patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret counseling to a wide range of public and private companies.
In patent prosecution, Hissan focuses on mechanical and software applications. Example technologies include: aircraft and automobile parts; agricultural devices; printers; shipping, point-of-sale, and other labels; targets; pharmaceutical systems and methods; oil well plugging apparatuses; regenerative dryers; precious metal appraisal systems; earphones; bullets; portable and large scale power generation systems; GPS devices; and several different types of computer implemented methods.
Hissan has substantial experience with AIA post grant proceedings, and has drafted and assisted in the drafting and analysis of briefs in dozens of inter partes reviews.
Hissan also routinely counsels clients on intellectual property litigation matters, particularly in cases involving infringement, enforcement, and licensing issues.
Prior to joining Lathrop Gage, Hissan worked as an electrical engineer in the transmission and distribution group of a large engineering consulting firm. Hissan has also worked as a programmer for a microelectronic solutions company.
In his free time, Hissan enjoys playing tennis and ping pong.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Cali Awards for highest grades in Copyright Law and Digital Media, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Islamic Law and Practice in Kansas
- Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy, Articles Editor and Senior Staff Articles Editor
- Graduated first in batch and third in class in electrical engineering at the University of Kansas
- "Recent Federal Circuit Decision Could Change the Game for Inter Partes Review Petitions," Lathrop Gage Client Alert, January 23, 2017
- "Supreme Court Affirms USPTO Claim Construction Test," Lathrop Gage Client Alert, June 20, 2016
- "New Rules for Patent Validity Challenges: What You Need to Know," Lathrop Gage Client Alert, April 5, 2016
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Fundamentals for the Engineering Law seminar, Halfmoon Education, November 28, 2018
- Panelist, "Strategies for Protecting Environmental Innovation and Your Company's Brand," Air & Waste Management Annual Conference, Hartford, CT, June 27, 2018
- Speaker, The Latest Changes in U.S. Patent Law: How They Affect Intellectual Property Strategies, 2016 Strategies in Light LED Show, March 2016
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2009
University of Kansas School of Engineering, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2005