Grant A. Harse
Grant Harse is an associate in the environmental team at Lathrop Gage. Grant focuses his practice in environmental and natural resources law, with significant experience working with Kansas agribusiness regulations. He has a strong environmental background with relevant experience in both state and federal government.
Grant handles all types of environmental compliance and litigation matters, including those involving requirements of the Clean Air Act (CCA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund) and the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA). Additionally, Grant has litigation experience with enforcement actions and claims alleging releases of hazardous substances into soil and groundwater.
Grant advises clients regarding their regulatory requirements, in administrative negotiations with both the Environmental Protection Agency and state agencies, and in litigation of environmental claims, including contribution claims under the federal Superfund law.
Prior to joining Lathrop Gage, Grant served as a Special Assistant Attorney General with an emphasis on water quality and hazardous substance remediation issues for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). This provides Grant with a thorough understanding of the issues facing clients – he can see both sides of a matter.
Grant enjoys spending time with his wife, Lori, and their two daughters. He is also active in the regional music scene, playing bass guitar with an experimental, improvisational jazz band in Kansas City and surrounding areas, as well as with jazz and rock groups in Lawrence.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Senior Staff Articles Editor, Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy
- Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law
- GUILDit, Board Member, 2018
- Author, “Nebraska’s Costs of Compliance with the Republican River Compact: An Equitable Solution,” Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, November 2009
Author, “Plastic, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and International Misfires at a Cure,” UCLA Journal of Environmental Law & Policy, December 2011
- Moderator, Speed Learning Sessions on Emerging Contaminants: 1,4-Dioxane & PFAS, Accidental Releases, and Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) Reporting, 2018 Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, Kansas City, MO, April 2018
- Moderator, State Breakout Sessions - Iowa, 2017 Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, Overland Park, Kansas, May 2017
- Speaker, Legal Perspective on Applicability of Certificates of Environmental Liability Release (CELRs) and Environmental Use Covenants (EUCs), Kansas Department of Health & Environment (KDHE), Managing Environmental Risk for Property Redevelopment Workshop, Manhattan, Kansas, July 21, 2016
- Moderator, Hot Topics in Industrial NPDES Permitting, 2016 Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, Overland Park, KS, May 2016
- Speaker, Kansas Department of Health & Environment (KDHE), Environmental Permitting for Confined Feeding Facilities, Agriculture Law CLE, Manhattan, Kansas, Farm Bureau, November 8, 2013
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2010
Belmont University, B.B.A., 2003
- Judicial Clerk for the Seventh Judicial District Court of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, 2011