Erik Rome is an associate with the firm's Wealth Strategies practice group who focuses his practice on tax planning, estate planning, and estate and trust administration and helps clients develop and implement comprehensive estate plans for a wide range of estate sizes, assets, and objectives.
Understanding that every client’s goals are unique, Erik works closely with each client to develop a custom plan to accomplish their goals, such as minimizing taxes, making charitable gifts, accounting for periods of incapacity, and planning for the eventual transfer of wealth. He also advises owners of privately held entities on formation, organizational, tax, and corporate succession issues.
Erik also guides executors, trustees, and beneficiaries through the process of administering estates and trusts in what can often be a difficult and emotional time for those involved (including the preparation of court pleadings, federal gift and estate tax returns, and IRS private letter ruling requests).
In addition, Erik has experience working side-by-side with litigators on trust and estate litigation, and has helped obtain court-ordered trust modifications and terminations.
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2018
- Heart of America Fellows Institute of the American Trust and Estate Counsel
- Johnson County Bar Association, Secretary of Probate Section
- Kansas City Estate Planning Society, First Year Director – Legal
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Military Matters Pro Bono Volunteer
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Overland Park Rotary Club
- Board of Directors, Kansas State Alpha Tau Omega Students' Aid Endowment Fund
- Kansas City Symphony Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Author, Recognizing Those Left Unprotected by ERISA's Section 510 Loophold: Congress Must Act to Protect These Employees, 21 Kan. J.L. & Pab. Pol'y 194 (2011).
- Co-presenter, Planned Giving: Maximizing the Benefits of Your Clients' Charitable Gifts, Kansas Bar Association 14 Annual Slam-Dunk CLE, February 2014
- Co-presenter, Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers, NBI seminar, November 2014
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
Kansas State University, B.A, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing