David R. Scheidemantle
David Scheidemantle focuses his practice on insurance coverage counseling and litigation on behalf of policyholders, product liability defense and counseling, construction law, and complex business litigation. He also provides general counseling to companies and individuals. David has litigated extensively in a variety of judicial, arbitral and governmental forums and jurisdictions throughout the United States and abroad.
- Secured $70+ million coverage-in-place agreement in environmental matter for products manufacturer following litigation against four insurance carriers.
- Prosecuted insurance coverage actions in federal district courts in Pennsylvania, Texas, and Massachusetts, involving series of products liability claims, resulting in highly favorable settlement under which insurer funded past and future claims alleging mass product failure across multi-billion-dollar market.
- Advised multinational chemical company regarding insurance coverage for massive products liability claim with alleged damages exceeding $1.5 billion.
- Won recovery from multiple insurers of $2.85 million in coverage fees and defense costs incurred by client in successfully defending massive products liability action.
- Ran complex insurance coverage litigation in one of largest bankruptcies in history of State of California in which debtor sought and obtained millions of dollars in environmental cost recovery from multiple insurers and prior property owners.
- Argued and won reversal in U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Cir., in favor of policyholder in which 9th Cir., adopted the after-acquired property doctrine notwithstanding California appellate authority rejecting that doctrine. KF Dairies, Inc. v. Fireman's Fund Insurance Co., 224 F.3d 922 (9th Cir. 2000).
- Won full insurance coverage for performing artist sued for wrongful death by family members of a houseguest.
- Won full insurance coverage from multiple off-shore insurance carriers for performing group under a tour-cancellation policy.
- Represented public utility seeking insurance coverage in series of wrongful death and fear of cancer actions involving more than 1000 plaintiffs.
- Won full insurance coverage for software manufacturer sued for invasion of privacy, along with all costs incurred in pursing coverage.
- Won full insurance coverage for property owner after carrier had denied coverage.
- Counseled owner of $12 million Stradivarius violin regarding insurance coverage inadequacies in a London market policy
Product Liability, Toxic & Mass Tort, and Class Action Defense
- Argued and won affirmance in U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Cir., of summary judgment in favor of U.S. subsidiary of $90 billion petro-chemical company in putative nationwide class action involving alleged defects in component parts used in $4 billion worth of finished goods over a 20-year period. Wasco Products v. Southwall Technologies, et al., 435 F.3d 989 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 127 S.Ct. 83 (2006).
- Won dismissal of virtually all claimed damages in alleged $30 million products action based on plaintiff's spoliation of evidence, then defeated plaintiff's petition for interlocutory appeal. Shortly thereafter, plaintiff agreed to dismiss action in exchange solely for waiver of costs.
- Argued and won affirmance in U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Cir., of dismissal of a products liability action alleging $4 million in damages. Four Seasons Solar Prods. Corp. v. Black & Decker Corp., et al., 2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 10688 (2d Cir. Jun. 1, 2004).
- Won early dismissal on the pleadings in Atlanta federal court of $3.5 million fraud and breach of warranty claim alleging sale of defective construction products.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple products liability actions throughout the United States involving same alleged defect across product line, while avoiding any payments to the claimants.
- Won dismissal of multiple benzene manufacturing work-place exposure actions in numerous states.
- Avoided litigation and negotiated minimal settlement on behalf of alleged manufacturer of polybutylene water pipes in multi million-dollar claim asserted by utility company.
- Argued and won dismissal on pleadings of environmental nuisance and fear of disease action against industrial company by 60 residents of trailer park.
- Successfully defended major rental car company in two putative nationwide consumer class actions alleging unfair business practices.
- In products liability action arising from nationally reported vehicular crash involving 16 fatalities in a single vehicle, won dismissal of alleged manufacturer of vehicle's shock absorbers.
- Participated in coordinating national defense and trial strategy for Fortune 100 company in approximately 150 products liability asbestos-in-buildings cases involving tens of thousands of buildings located throughout United States, including virtually every public utility building, public school, public office building, bridge, and tunnel in City of New York.
Complex Litigation and Arbitration
- Won multi million-dollar settlement on behalf of parent of failed savings and loan association in action against multiple federal regulators. Due to its size, settlement required approval of President of the United States and Secretary of the Treasury.
- Prosecuted and successfully settled $100 million contract claim on behalf of Spanish pharmaceutical company against California supplier of blood plasma in International Chamber of Commerce arbitration in London, governed by California and Dutch law, in which principal arbitrator sat on Britain's House of Lords.
- Won permanent injunction against a trademark infringer and successfully moved to have infringer held in contempt of court. Henry Schein, Inc. v. Certified Business Supply, Inc., U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Case No. SACV03-1662 DOC.
- Obtained favorable settlement in defense of antitrust and RICO action against major television studio, precipitated by summary judgment motion scheduled for hearing on day settlement was reached, which resulted in payment to studio in excess of $1 million.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 company in series of complex limited partnership disputes involving divestiture of hospital.
- Represented weight loss company in AAA International Arbitration proceedings and in multiple injunction actions by franchisees throughout United States and Canada alleging breaches of alleged rights to exclusive territories.
- As West Coast litigation counsel to Australia's largest bank, litigated and advised bank concerning securities and lender liability actions and other banking-related matters.
- Achieved multi-million dollar settlement in favor of claimants in accountant malpractice action involving highly complex tax issues, without necessity of commencing litigation.
- Violin soloist, Brahms Away!, a series of four salon performances dedicated to the works for violin and piano of Johannes Brahms, Pasadena, California, scheduled 2018.
- Violin soloist, Opera Meets Violin, salon performance, San Marino, California, 2018
- 5 Violins, 5 Centuries, 5 Composers Salon Performance, James Allen Freeman house, Pasadena, California, 2014.
- Violin soloist, Los Angeles Children's Chorus (Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles; Hong Kong; Shanghai, Beijing, China), 2008-2012.
- First violinist, Cuarto del Mundo, 1999-2002.
- Concertmaster, Juilliard Symphony, 1980-82 (Lincoln Center, New York).
- Concertmaster, National Orchestra of New York, 1980-82 (Carnegie Hall, New York).
- Concertmaster, Juilliard Philharmonia, 1979-80 (Lincoln Center, New York).
- Violinist, 1978-82 (Basically Bach Music Festival, New York; Original Broadway Sweeney Todd Production (1980), Uris Theatre, New York; Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York; Lincoln Center, New York).
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Corporate LiveWire Global Award, Insurance and Reinsurance, 2016
- Peter Perlman Service Award, 2016
- Rebecca Thompson Founder's Award, Los Angeles Children's Chorus, 2014
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, 2008 - Present
- Los Angeles Master Chorale, Board Member & Governance Committee Chair, 2015 - 2018
- American Contemporary Ballet, Chair, Advisory Counsel, 2017 - 2018
- Scripps Association of Families, Scripps College, Co-Chair, 2015 - 2017
- Scripps College, Board of Trustees, 2015 - 2017
- Los Angeles Children's Chorus, Board Chair, 2009 - 2012
- Century City Chamber of Commerce; Founding Board Member, President & Board Chair, Friends of the Levitt Pavilion-Pasadena Member, 1995-1996
- Zubin Mehta's West Coast Council, Member
1888 Century Park EastSuite 1000Los Angeles, CA 90067-1623
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1985
Juilliard School, Bachelor of Music, 1982