Christopher T. Feldmeir
Christopher Feldmeir is a partner with Lathrop Gage LLP and leader of the firm's Franchise and Distribution industry group. With a dual focus on corporate solutions and franchise development, Mr. Feldmeir provides strategy, guidance and creative solutions to help clients achieve their business goals.
In his corporate practice, Mr. Feldmeir advises clients in various aspects of mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiation, corporate governance and raising capital. Most recently, Mr. Feldmeir advised a closely held business in its sale to a publically traded corporation, represented a software development company in its equity sale to a private equity company, and helped a national client in the medical industry complete several acquisitions.
Mr. Feldmeir's work with franchise and distribution clients includes structuring franchise systems and distribution networks, preparing franchise disclosure documents, franchise agreements, license agreements, distribution and supply agreements, and sales representative agreements. Mr. Feldmeir counsels clients on dealer and distribution agreements for maximum benefit and protection. He helps to ensure all possible steps are taken to comply with applicable statutes and regulations, including issues regarding trademark, patent and licensing requirements. He has significant experience counseling start-up franchise systems on how to grow their business while protecting their brand. In addition, he has served as special counsel for private equity franchise system acquisitions.
Mr. Feldmeir has represented dozens of clients from a variety of industries, including automobile and heavy machinery dealers, brewers and distillers, clothing manufacturers, and franchises serving the restaurant, fitness, healthcare and insurance markets.
- Recognized as an “International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers”, 2012
- Editor, Washington University Journal of Law & Policy
- Washington University Gary I. Boren Memorial Award, 2005
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Lead attorney for a $70 million transaction in the manufacturing industry, where the client was purchased by a public company in a stock acquisition.
- Lead attorney for a private equity firm in a $51 million sale of a software company to another private equity firm.
- Currently leading a $15 million transaction on the sale of a warehouse equipment distribution company.
- Lead attorney for private equity-backed buyer of medical practices.
- Successfully represented a start-up frozen yogurt licensor before multiple state regulators to remedy unregistered franchise sales with minimal disruption to continued franchise sales; prepared and registered franchise offering documents; negotiated sale of system; continue to represent the franchise through significant expansion and growth domestically and internationally.
- Provided strategic guidance to client launching new fitness apparel line.
- Acted as special counsel in private equity fund acquisition of international franchise system, evaluating health of system and compliance with applicable laws.
- Provided regular guidance to large warehouse material handling equipment dealer with respect to commercial contracts.
- Represented seller in a $25 million asset sale of chemical business.
- Represented engineering firm management team through private offering of securities to fund acquisition.
- Co-Author, “Illinois,” Covenants Against Competition in Franchise Agreements, Third Edition, Chicago, IL: Forum on Franchising, American Bar Association, 2012
- Author, “Compliance Shortfalls - When It's Time to Say 'I'm Sorry,” Franchising World, March 2012
- Speaker, “Employment Contracts and Practice Buy-in Guidance,” Washington University Department of Surgery's Transition to Practice Symposium, September 2014
- Speaker, “Ask the Attorney,” Client Seminar, February 2013
- Co-Speaker, “De-Franchise my License Please: Converting Franchises to Licenses and Vice-Versa,” International Franchise Association Legal Symposium, May 2012
- Speaker, “Sales Compliance Training,” Franchise Brokers Association, Annual Meeting, November 2011
- Speaker, “Brand-Aid, A Seminar to Proactively Address Common Branding Problems,” Client Seminar, November 2011
- Co-Speaker, “Protect Your Brand with a Social Media Policy,” Client Seminar, July 2011
- April 14, 2015
7701 Forsyth BoulevardSuite 500Clayton, MO 63105
Washington University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2005
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2004
Denison University, B.A., 2001