Brian T. Schwartz, Ph.D.
Dr. Schwartz’s background is in physics and optical engineering, with an emphasis in full-wave electromagnetic simulations of photonic technologies such as CMOS image sensor pixels, photonic-crystal waveguides, silicon photonics, optical metamaterials, free-electron lasers, and laser-based particle accelerators. Dr. Schwartz also served as a senior optoelectronic engineer for OmniVision Technologies, a developer of advanced digital imaging solutions. Dr. Schwartz assists in patent prosecution, litigation, patentability determinations, and infringement analysis in technologies including optics, photonics, silicon photonics, imaging, lens design, image sensors, image processing, atomic clocks, microscopes, wafer-level optics, magnetic resonance imaging, and wireless communications.
- National Academy of Sciences Science & Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship, 2005
- International Society of Optical Engineering (SPIE) scholarship, 2005
- Fellowship, Optical Science & Engineering Program, University of Colorado, 1999-2004
Dr. Schwartz’s publications include:
- E. A. Peralta, K. Soong, R. J. England, E. R. Colby, Z. Wu, B. Montazeri, C. McGuinness, J. McNeur, K. J. Leedle, D. Walz, E. B. Sozer, B. Cowan, B. Schwartz, G. Travish, R. L. Byer. “Demonstration of electron acceleration in a laser-driven dielectric microstructure,” Nature, 503, 91-94 (2013).
- B.T. Schwartz et al, “Coherent Electron Cooling: Status of Single-Pass Simulations,” Proceedings of the International Particle Accelerator Conference, (2013).
- Z. Li, M. Mohammed, X. Chen, E. Dudley, K. Meng, L. Shang, A. Mickelson, R. Joseph, M. Vachharajani, B. Schwartz, and Y. Sun, “Reliability Modeling and Management of Nanophotonic On-Chip Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems (TVLSI), 99, 1, (2011).
- Z. A. Sechrist, B. T. Schwartz, J. H. Lee, J. A. McCormick, R. Piestun, W. Park, and S. M. George, “Modification of Opal Photonic Crystals Using Al2O3 Atomic Layer Deposition,” Chemistry of Materials 18 (15), 3562-3570 (2006).
- B. T. Schwartz and R. Piestun, “Dynamic properties of photonic crystals and their effective refractive index,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 22, 2018-2026 (2005).
- B. T. Schwartz and R. Piestun, “Waveguiding in air by total external reflection from ultralow index metamaterials,” Appl Phys Lett, 85, 1 (2004).
- B. T. Schwartz and R. Piestun, “Total external reflection from metamaterials with ultralow refractive index,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 20, 2448-2453 (2003).
2440 Junction PlaceSuite 300Boulder, CO 80301
University of Colorado, PhD, Electrical Engineering, 2005
University of Colorado, MS, Electrical Engineering, 2001
Swarthmore College, B.A., Physics, with honors, 1997