Licensing and Technology Transfer
We prepare and negotiate licenses of inventions, trademarks, patents, copyrights, computer software and a host of proprietary technologies, as well as the works and services of celebrities and media personalities. Lathrop & Gage has experience:
- Preparing and negotiating highly specialized license agreements, in the U.S. and worldwide;
- Developing systems and procedures for retaining valuable ownership rights to wide varieties of intellectual property;
- Developing internal compliance programs;
- Conducting audits, investigations and training programs with respect to the use and preservation of data rights; and
- Handling alleged export violations.
Lathrop & Gage also provides corporate licensing services in connection with complex transactions such as entity formation, financing, sales contracts, mergers, bankruptcies and workouts, corporate acquisitions and the like.
Technology Transfer. We counsel clients on a wide range of emerging technologies. We have worked with a number of universities, web designers, hardware manufacturers, and software developers, and we have assisted clients in patenting inventions relating to e-commerce, computer technologies, and new business methods. The group also negotiates and drafts license agreements, transfer agreements, development agreements, and corporate alliance agreements for businesses wishing to utilize existing and emerging technologies.
- Provide IP counsel to Dartmouth College, including assistance in the college’s licensing program.
- As primary outside IP counsel for Big Bend Agri-Service Inc., provide licensing guidance on the company’s agricultural chemical assets.
- Advise a leading marketing software company on its licensing arrangements.
- Counsel a manufacturer of probiotic dietary additives with regard to licensing and related corporate issues.
- Represent an internationally known artist and illustrator regarding the licensing of artwork for a variety of products.