Sean M. Coughlin
Mr. Coughlin has advised clients and prepared and prosecuted patent applications, domestic and foreign, primarily in the life sciences, including the fields of biochemistry, biofuels, organic chemistry, nucleic acid diagnostics, cellular and molecular biology, immunology, pharmaceuticals, stem cells and medical devices. He also advises clients on issues relating to patent portfolio management and licensing as well as freedom-to-operate, validity, infringement, and patentability opinions. Prior to joining Lathrop & Gage, he worked for an international intellectual property law firm located in California.
Mr. Coughlin received his M.A. in Biochemistry from Boston University Medical School where he conducted cell fractionation studies of adipocyte plasma membranes. He investigated caveolae and their role in signal transduction and cholesterol homeostasis in rat adipocytes and 3T3-L1 adipocytes based upon their protein composition. He is published in the American Journal of Physiology. He graduated from Brown University with an Sc.B. with Honors in Biochemistry. His undergraduate research concentrated on the construction of a physical map across the p13 region of human chromosome 9 using yeast artificial chromosomes in search of the locus responsible for cartilage hair hypoplasia, a rare genetic disorder.
- District of Columbia
- U. S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Zhou M, Lin BZ, Coughlin S, Vallega G, Pilch PF. “UCP-3 expression in skeletal muscle: effects of exercise, hypoxia, and AMP-activated protein kinase.” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Sep; 279(3):E622-9.
- Lin B, Coughlin S, Pilch PF. “Bidirectional regulation of uncoupling protein-3 and GLUT-4 mRNA in skeletal muscle by cold.” Am J Physiol. 1998 Sep;275(3 Pt 1):E386-91.
- Seán M. Coughlin, The Newman Application and the USPTO's Unnecessary Response: Patentability of Humans and Human Embryos, 5 Chi.-Kent J. Intell. Prop. 90 (2006).
- Seán M. Coughlin, Is the Patent Paradox a Result of a Large Firm Perspective? Differential Value of Small Firm Patents Over Time Explains the Patent Paradox, 23 SCCHITLJ 371 (January, 2007).
- June 1, 2015
- August 10, 2011
- August 10, 2011
- January 6, 2014
- August 9, 2011
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
1888 Century Park EastSuite 1000Los Angeles, CA 90067-1623
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2007
Boston University School of Medicine, M.A., 2000
Brown University, Sc.B., 1997