Thomas A. Ryan
Tom Ryan is chair of the environmental department at Lathrop Gage. Tom has spent a considerable portion of his time defending chemical exposure toxic tort litigation, including class actions. These cases have included alleged damage to plaintiff’s immune systems, pulmonary systems and other personal injuries. He has experience in Superfund issues including contribution, indemnity, transporter liability and allocation. In addition, he represents policyholders in environmental insurance coverage litigation in various states. Tom also has twenty years of experience in personal injury litigation, representing railroad and manufacturing companies in a wide variety of cases. A few examples of his representations include:
- Represents a major railroad in various Superfund matters in the Midwest.
- Served as Missouri and Kansas counsel for one of the major manufacturers of asbestos-containing products. He tried a property damage case to a jury in federal district court in Kansas resulting in one of only a handful of defense verdicts for this type of litigation.
- Served as Missouri counsel for one of the manufacturers in “fen phen” litigation.
- Represented a major chemical company in class action litigation arising out of a plant in central Missouri.
- Represents a waste transporter and landowner in numerous major Superfund cases at sites throughout the United States.
- Represents insureds seeking coverage for costs and other damages incurred in connection with CERCLA sites around the country.
- Represent a number of clients in proceedings before the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Selected as a Lawyer of the Year, by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017
Selected as one of the American Lawyer Media & Martindale-Hubbell™ Top Rated Lawyers in Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources, 2013
Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2018
- Selected one of KVC Health Systems’ 40 Everyday Heroes, 2010
- Selected as “Leading Lawyer” by Chambers USA, 2009-2017
- Selected as Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2007-2010 and 2013-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- American Bar Association, Torts & Insurance Practice Section; Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- Lawyers’ Association of Kansas City
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Insurance Information Counsel
- Prime Health Foundation, Board of Directors, 1988-present
- Kansas City Spirit, Inc., Board of Directors and General Counsel, 1989-92
- Heart of America Dartmouth Club, President, 1987-90
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 1987
- Co-Author, “Law and the Practice of Insurance Coverage Litigation,” (West Group and ABA 2000)
- Hazardous Materials Incident Liability: Watch Your Step, Heart of America HazMat Conference, 1995
- New Developments in Kansas and Missouri Environmental Insurance Litigation, Insurance Information Counsel, 1995
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- March 12, 2015
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- August 30, 2011
- June 10, 2011
- October 20, 2010
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- June 11, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- June 11, 2009
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1982
Dartmouth College, A.B., cum laude, 1979