John T. Coghlan
Mr. Coghlan works in the firm’s creditors’ rights department, but he also works on commercial real estate transactions, Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, and regularly defends insureds and underwriters in title insurance litigation. His practice also includes working with banks and other financial institutions in Kansas and Missouri.
His overall practice and experience includes handling various aspects of Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases; general corporate and title insurance regulatory work; commercial loan workouts, restructuring, receivership cases and foreclosures; title insurance litigation in connection with insured lenders and owners under their title insurance policies and title insurance underwriters and title insurance agencies on claims against them; and handling regulatory issues and matters that arise for banks and other financial institutions.
Mr. Coghlan routinely speaks throughout the United States on bankruptcy issues, title insurance, loan workout and loan restructuring, foreclosures, and various real estate topics. He also authored a chapter for the American Land Title Association on bankruptcy issues in real estate and other trades journals in real estate. He has handled real estate cases, title insurance cases, and bankruptcy cases both locally and nationally.
Additionally, Mr. Coghlan specializes in real estate transactions, with projects including sales, acquisitions, lending and development for land development projects. Representative matters also include underground mining transactions. His work involves expertise with Community Development Districts (CIDs) and Neighborhood Improvement Districts (NIDs), as well as assisting clients with land development matters and zoning issues to develop mixed-use and residential property.
Real Estate Representative Experience:
- Worked on large land acquisition for client involving about 2,000 acres
- Worked on sale of land for client that involved Community Improvement Districts (CIDs) and transfer of certain rights for development
- Worked on acquisition to assist client with development issues, zoning approvals and plat approvals to develop mixed-use and residential property
- Worked on several transactions involving underground mining operations throughout Kansas City area from sale, lending, and reclamation issues
- Extensive real estate experience with sales, acquisitions, lending, and land development
Banking & Creditors’ Rights Representative Experience:
- Successfully represented a bank with a complex $12.5 million construction loan, which involved multiple borrowers and multiple lots with complex construction and leasing issues. Client was extremely pleased with the favorable outcome.
- Represented bank in complex workout in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving several million in loans made to a borrower entity secured by real estate and other assets. The lender received 100% payout under plan after efforts to negotiate plan terms for client.
- Successfully represented lender in defense of claim for breach of settlement agreement with option to purchase land sought by adjoining land owner on summary judgment that allowed lender to sell land after foreclosure.
- Represented bank client in a foreclosure action where borrower was accused of setting fire to the property that served as the bank’s collateral and after determination of issues by insurance company, we successfully negotiated resolution of the bank’s claim with insurance company that netted 100% payment to the bank of all debt owed by the borrower.
- Represented bank in various loan transactions for multi-million dollar construction loans and permanent financing transactions. We documented every aspect of the loan, which had multiple parties and complex loan documents, with a borrower and several guarantors that included trusts.
- Represented bank on several loans where borrowers were alleged to have engaged in illegal flipping of houses and brought actions for fraud against borrowers. Obtained judgment for amounts owed and then held non-dischargeable in borrowers’ bankruptcy cases.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court of Arizona
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2012-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV Preeminent” Rating
- Former Vice-Chair, Editorial Board for The Missouri Bar Journal
- Missouri Land Title Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Author, What Do Attorneys Look For And Want In Foreclosure Reports, Missouri Land Title Association’s publication Missouri Titlegram, 1999
- Author, Bankruptcy: The Effect on Real Estate Titles, Chapter for American Land Title Association, 1998-99
- Co-Author, Secured Creditors, Missouri Bankruptcy Practice Deskbook, Chapter 5, 1992 and update 1995-96
- Author of various other articles for title association publication and seminar materials.
- Speaker, Title Insurance Continuing Education Requirement, Lathrop Gage, 2017
- Speaker, Understanding Legal Descriptions, Annual Real Estate Institute, MoBAR CLE, 2016
- Speaker, Preparation of Data and Documents Litigation, Missouri Land Title Association, 2015-2017
- Speaker, Basic and Advance Land Descriptions, Kansas Land Title Association, 2000-2017
- Speaker, Bankruptcy for Contracts and Other Legal Topics, for UMKC Engineering Class, 2013-2015
- Speaker, Loan Workouts in the Wake of the Financial Meltdown, Missouri Bankers Association Annual Bank Legal Issues Conference, November 2009
- Speaker, Legal Descriptions: What Are They?, National Association of Legal Secretaries Annual Convention, October 2007
- Speaker, How to Deal with the Effects of Bankruptcy on the Title to Real Estate, Missouri Land Title Institute, October 2007
- Speaker, Title Examination, Lorman Educational Services, November 2007
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- August 15, 2013
- August 22, 2012
- August 30, 2011
- November 3, 2009
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Law clerk for the Honorable Karen See of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Intern for the Honorable Frank Koger of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri