Henry W. Tanner, Jr.
Henry Tanner is an associate in Lathrop Gage’s Product Liability, Toxic & Mass Tort department. He focuses on litigation of tort matters relating to product liability, nuisance, premises liability, and fraud, as well as employment and labor related litigation. Henry has advised a diverse range of clients from non-profit organizations to Fortune 500 companies throughout the nation. Driven by the client’s desired result, Henry’s litigation style is strategic and adaptable translating into a streamlined process always focused on the end goal.
Henry has valuable experience litigating all phases of disputes and has assisted litigation teams in jury trials, mediations and arbitrations. Henry has also supported a litigation team that successfully defended a large class action for a national manufacturer of pipes, valves and fittings. He has significant experience in state and federal court litigation, and his track record spans the nation including in California, New York, Texas, Kentucky, Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas and Missouri.
No stranger to hard work, Henry’s personal employment history includes experience in a variety of industries including retail stores, restaurants, construction sites, a food processing facility and a steel manufacturing plant. Having firsthand experience in these safety-sensitive work environments, Henry’s employment law experience naturally expanded to include regulatory compliance under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) and Whistleblower claims.
With a unique cultural background, coupled with an extensive history in the workforce, Henry brings to the table a sense of relatability to clients and an insightful perspective into legal issues. Henry is often able to leverage these traits and engage in a straightforward conversation when necessary to achieve a desired result. Henry realizes that being direct and focusing on the end goal, not only makes his job easier, but saves the client time and money.
In the employment arena, Henry’s recent experience includes:
- Sexual Harassment Investigation: Obtained dismissal of a sexual harassment charge after preparing and defending individual key executives in an investigation conducted by a municipal department.
- Unannounced OSHA Inspection: Advised and counseled a chemical manufacturing company on necessary abatement measures, which led to a dramatic reduction in the proposed penalties.
- Disability Discrimination: Prompted a favorable resolution after taking and defending depositions involving nuanced legal theories such as a “direct threat” and an “individualized assessment” under federal law.
- Affirmative Action: Defended a general contractor in a million-dollar dispute initiated by a municipality relating to the use of minority/women certified businesses as sub-contractors.
To Henry, investing in his community and remaining civically engaged is essential. Together with friends, Henry started an annual 5k race (www.castleonthehill5k.com) to raise scholarship funds for senior high school students attending Lincoln College Preparatory Academy. Henry and colleagues also work with students on how to interact with police officers during a traffic stop.
- United States District for the Western District of Missouri
- Order of the Barristers
- First Place, Board of Advocates Negotiation Competition, 2012
- First Place, Kit Carson Roque, Jr. Scholarship Recipient, 2012
- Second Place, National Thurgood Marshall Mock Trial Competition, 2013
- Missouri Attorney General’s Cup Trial Team, 2012
- Jackson County Bar Association
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri School of Law, J.D., 2013
University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., 2010