Greer S. Lang
Ms. Lang is a partner in the business litigation department. She represents clients in litigated and non-litigated complex commercial and business-related disputes, in state and federal court, both at the trial and appellate court level, such as breach of contract matters, partnership disputes, disputes involving covenants not to compete and other restrictive covenants, loan enforcement actions, construction matters, insurance disputes, regulatory matters, trusts, business torts and professional liability matters.
Additionally, Ms. Lang is a frequent speaker and author on issues regarding the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) and Regulation B.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Lang was a solo practitioner in Lawrence, Kansas, where her primary areas of practice included commercial and business litigation, construction litigation, trust litigation and appellate practice in both state and federal court. Previous to that, Ms. Lang was a partner in the firm of Rose, Brouilette & Shapiro, P.C. During law school, Ms. Lang clerked with the Kansas Secretary of State’s Office.
- Obtained affirmance by the United States Supreme Court of litigation team’s victories in the 8th Circuit and U.S. District Court for Western District of Missouri that client did not violate the Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B in lending dispute, because Regulation B impermissibly expands scope of Equal Credit Opportunity Act to include spousal guarantors not covered by plain language of statue. Hawkins v. Community Bank of Raymore, 136 S. Ct. 1072 (2016).
- Represented large cattle ranch in the Flint Hills (Kansas) in road vacation litigation that impacted the client’s property. Succeeded in establishing due process rights of a land owner, as well as defining and limiting the role a county counselor can play in such a proceeding, before the Kansas Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented B.B. Andersen, one of two business partners involved in a bitter dispute regarding the ownership of the West Edge Project in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Successfully used the alter ego doctrine to prevent parent company of client’s partner in a commercial real estate development from foreclosing on partnership loan and mortgage it acquired from lender in an effort to avoid subsidiary’s fiduciary obligations and restrictions on requiring capital contributions; limiting parent to credit for amount it paid to acquire partnership loan upon dissolution of partnership.
- Representing one of the world’s largest privately owned, independent insurance brokers in a variety of litigated and non-litigated matters.
- Representing trustees and beneficiaries in large, complex trust litigation.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Selected among Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2016-2017
Recipient, Missouri Lawyers Weekly’s Missouri Lawyers Awards - Influential Appellate Advocate, 2016
Named as one of National Law Journal’s “Top 50 Litigation Trailblazers,” 2015
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Washburn Law Journal
Who’s Who Among American Law School Students
American Jurisprudence – Products Liability Award
Callaghan & Company Law Book Award – Outstanding Student in Products Liability Law
- Kansas Bar Association, Ethics & Grievance Committee
- Missouri Bankers Association
- Missouri Independent Bankers Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Douglas County Inns of Court
- Kansas Women Attorneys Association
- Author, Grisham v. Mission Bank: Clarifying Future Advance Provisions in Missouri, The Show-Me Banker, October 2017
- Presenter, ADA Website Compliance: Best Practices to Avoid High-Speed Claims, I Train on Demand (iTod), August 17, 2017
- Co-Presenter, Hitting the ECOA Bulls Eye: All Arrows Point to Regulation B, Greg Souther Bank Webinar, November 30, 2016
- Speaker, ADA Website Accessibility Litigation: Is Your Bank the Next Target, Missouri Independent Bankers Association Security Conference, September 28, 2016
- Co-Presenter, Putting the ECOA and Regulation Jigsaw Puzzle Together Webinar, Co-Hosted by Lathrop Gage LLP and Career 1 Source, September 14, 2016
- Speaker, Playing on a National Field: Bankers Beware - Staying in Fair Territory on Regulation B, Lorman Webinar, July 26, 2016
- Speaker, Discussion of Recent Changes to Discovery Rules, Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association, June 17, 2016
- Speaker, The ECOA: The Supreme Court’s Decision in Hawkins and Its Ongoing Implications for Guarantors in Bank Lending Practices, Missouri Independent Bankers Association, Directors & Officers Conference, May 17, 2016
- Speaker, Hawkins v. Community Bank of Raymore, Lathrop Gage, LLP, Hot Topics, April 28, 2016
- Speaker, The ECOA’s Debut in the U.S. Supreme Court, Hawkins v. Community Bank of Raymore, St. Louis Chapter of the Risk Management Association, RMA Legal Issues & Regulatory Update, February 18, 2016
- Speaker, A Report From the Trenches.… From the U.S. Supreme Court to Missouri’s Trial Courts: A Look at What the Courts are Doing to Your Loan Documents and What Lenders Need to Do to Protect Their Ability to Recover Following Default, Missouri Bankers’ Association Legal Issues Conference, October 29, 2015
- Speaker, A Report From the Trenches.… A Look at What the Courts are Doing to Your Loan Documents and What Lenders Need to Do to Protect Their Ability to Recover Following Default, Missouri Independent Bankers Association Annual Convention, September 15, 2015
- Speaker, ECOA for Guarantor….To Be or Not To Be: That is the Question, Missouri Independent Bankers Association Annual Convention, September 9, 2014
- Speaker, Loan Document Litigation.… New Defenses That May Prevent Your Bank From Enforcing Your Loan Documents In Court & How Banks Can Affirmatively Respond, Missouri Independent Bankers Association Annual Convention, September 10, 2013
- October 18, 2017
- August 24, 2017
- April 15, 2016
- March 23, 2016
- December 18, 2015
- December 8, 2015
- October 5, 2015
- March 3, 2015
- January 19, 2015
- August 11, 2014
- November 9, 2017
- March 22, 2016
- December 8, 2015
- August 8, 2014
- January 2, 2013
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Washburn University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1989
Washburn University, magna cum laude, 1986