Michael G. Martin
Mr. Martin has 25 years experience litigating complex business disputes. This includes jury trials, trials to the court, arbitration proceedings and appeals. His practice is concentrated in the areas of patent, trademark, and copyright litigation and trade secrets litigation. He has also handled disputes over control of closely held entities, securities litigation, and real property litigation.
- Represented respondents in a case before the International Trade Commission, brought in 2006 by a large footwear manufacturer alleging that numerous shoe styles infringed its utility and design patents. Case resulted in findings of invalidity of utility patent and non-infringement of design patent.
- Represented Alzheimer’s Institute of America in a dispute over license agreements for the Swedish Mutation with the Mayo Clinic. The defendant used cell lines containing the Swedish Mutation, which is patented by client, for Alzheimer’s research purposes. The firm successfully argued for the client in arbitration proceedings that cell lines containing the Swedish Mutation were not included in the scope of the licensing agreement.
- Handled cases regarding copyright infringement of architectural plans and drawings.
- Part of legal team that serves as principal outside intellectual property counsel for the leading retailer of shoes in the United States and is involved in patent, trademark, trade dress and copyright issues and all associated litigation, domestic and foreign.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Obtained summary judgment and denial of class certification in multi-million dollar securities fraud action asserted against financial institution.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of manufacturer in multi-million dollar products liability action.
- Obtained preliminary injunctions enjoining the use of trade secrets and enforcing covenants not to compete.
- Successfully represented a major automobile dealer in real property dispute involving dealership property.
- Successfully arbitrated dispute between members of closely held real estate development company resulting in an award of all property to client.
- Obtained jury verdict for insurer in fire subrogation action.
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Patent Litigation Committee
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Master Advocates Program
- Denver Art Museum, Colorado
- Colorado Fourteeners Initiative, 54 Club Member
- Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado
- Colorado Squash Racquets Association, Board of Directors
- When Doing Deals is Risky, (Professional Liability), ABA Journal, July 1996
- Expert Witnesses in Construction Litigation, American Consulting Engineers Council of Colorado Seminar, May 1996
- Construction Claims Under Colorado Law, The Cambridge Institute Seminar, March 1996
- Speaker, Litigating Trade Secret Damages, American Bar Association Litigation Section Conference, April 25, 2013
950 Seventeenth StreetSuite 2400Denver, CO 80202
University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1984
University of Southern California Law Center, 1982
Brown University, A.B., 1980