Mr. Meriwether is a partner in the intellectual property litigation department and has extensive experience litigating patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, false advertising and unfair competition cases in federal courts throughout the country, including some of the leading intellectual property litigation venues like the Southern District of New York, Eastern District of Texas, District of Delaware, the Northern and Central Districts of California, and the Eastern District of Virginia.
Mr. Meriwether has litigated cases involving a wide range of topics and technologies, including infant and toddler products, cookware and beverage products, microsurgical mechanical devices, shoes, educational textbooks, plant fertilizer and fungicidal compositions, consumer electronics, software, architectural designs, residential construction, and other various consumer products and internet technologies.
Mr. Meriwether’s experience has spanned the nation, with recent matters in California, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Texas, and Virginia. Mr. Meriwether has also been involved in a broad range of other litigation matters in federal court, including topics as diverse as environmental, insurance, construction, class actions, and TCPA violations.
In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Meriwether has worked with companies on matters such as assistance with the prosecution of trademarks, copyrights, and patents; licensing of intellectual property; development of software licenses; drafting of IP purchase and development agreements; creation of non-practicing entity risk management strategies; and resolution of internet domain-name disputes.
While in law school, prior to clerking for the Honorable Scott O. Wright, Mr. Meriwether was a judicial intern for the Honorable Ortrie D. Smith at the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri.
- Lead associate assisting on two-week false advertising jury trial for major infant and toddler product manufacturer that resulted in $13,492,000 verdict in favor of our client and a defense verdict in favor of our client on all counterclaims.
- Led successful prosecution of trademark and trade dress cases for multinational energy corporation against six infringers across Missouri, Kansas and Massachusetts. All cases resulted in complete victory for our client.
- Led successful defense of small business owner in Southern District of New York against allegations of breach of contract and fraud related to patents for single point watering caps that control the addition of water to lead acid batteries. Near seven-figure damage claim. Drafted successful summary judgment motion that resulted in complete victory for our client.
- Lead associate in successful representation of competitively injured false marking plaintiff that resulted in seven-figure settlement in favor of our client in one of the few cases of its kind following false marking revisions of America Invents Act.
- Lead associate in successful defense against notorious non-practicing entity, Parallel Iron LLC, in the District of Delaware involving distributed file system software patents.
- Lead associate in defense of residential homebuilder against claims of architectural copyright infringement. Obtained significant, favorable discovery rulings, which resulted in settlement of the case on extremely favorable terms for our client.
- Lead associate in defense of nationally known client against notorious non-practicing entity, GeoTag, Inc., in the Eastern District of Texas involving patent related to systems allowing for the on-line search of information within a particular geographical area.
- Second-chaired successful defense of small business owner and author in the Western District of Missouri against allegations of copyright infringement involving instructional textbooks that resulted in an early settlement on favorable terms, which allowed for the continued, uninterrupted publication of our client’s textbook.
- Lead associate in defense of nationally known shoe retailer against non-practicing entity in the Eastern District of Virginia involving patents relating
to lighted infant and toddler shoes. Case settled on favorable terms for our client shortly after arguments presented at Markman hearing.
- Lead associate in defense of architectural design and development company against allegations of copyright infringement involving the development and construction of a federal office complex. Obtained certain favorable discovery rulings, as well as demonstrated significant non-infringement and damages reduction positions at court-ordered mediation, which resulted in favorable settlement for our client.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2017
- Staff member and Assistant Comment Editor, Tulsa Journal of Comparative & International Law
- Teaching Assistant, Legal Writing Department, The University of Tulsa College of Law
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society Member
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Comment, After Abu Ghraib: Does the McCain Amendment, as Part of the 2006 Defense Appropriations Act, Clarify U.S. Interrogation Policy or Tie the Hands of U.S. Interrogators?, 14 Tulsa J. Comp. & Int’l L. 155 (2006)
- November 9, 2017
- February 1, 2016
- September 9, 2009
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Tulsa College of Law, J.D., 2007
University of Tulsa, B.S., Business Administration, cum laude, 2003
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Scott O. Wright, United States District Court, Western District of Missouri