Lynn A. Archer
Ms. Archer is a tax and employee benefits attorney in Lathrop Gage’s Kansas City location. Her primary area of focus is on the design, implementation, qualification, administration, funding, communication and termination of employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs). She negotiates stock purchase transactions, stock redemption, recapitalization, and ESOP terminations in order to achieve client goals and comply with ERISA and Department of Labor requirements. She also has a wealth of experience working with 401(k) sales, employee education, corporate governance, fiduciary due diligence and other employee-based benefits and plans.
Ms. Archer is an engaged and focused attorney who takes a strategic and practical approach to counseling companies, shareholders, institutional trustees and lenders in ESOP transactions. She partners with all members of a client’s ESOP service team to solve problems in a practical manner that accommodates each client’s particular risk tolerance and perspective. Ms. Archer is a team-focused collaborator dedicated to achieving the best results for each client.
Prior to joining Lathrop Gage, Ms. Archer served as an ESOP sales consultant for a financial services firm, where she partnered with CPAs, legal counsel and trusted advisers to assist companies in evaluating the ESOP as a transition tool and facilitating the financial analysis to support the feasibility of an ESOP transaction.
- The ESOP Association Legislative and Regulatory Committee, 2008-present
- The ESOP Association Northwest Chapter, Executive Committee 2013-present
- The ESOP Association Minnesota/Dakota Chapter, Program Committee 2006-2012; Chair 2008-2012
Ms. Archer is an active member and frequent speaker at events sponsored by the following associations:
- National and Regional Chapter of The ESOP Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership (CEO)
- ESOP-Owned S Corporations of America (ESCA)
- “Managing Repurchase Liability,” The ESOP Association Northwest Chapter, October 2015
- “Keeping a Mature Plan Effective,” National Center for Employee Ownership ESOP Symposium, Atlanta, October 2015
- “International Communications,” The ESOP Association Northwest Chapter, September 2014
- “Fiduciary Review of an Annual Valuation Report,” The ESOP Association National Conference, Washington, DC, May 2012; The ESOP Association Iowa-Nebraska Chapter Meeting, July 2012
- “Using ESOPs as an Acquisition Strategy,” Ohio Center for Employee Ownership Meeting, April 2012
- “ESOP Basics, The ESOP Association Minnesota/Dakota Chapter Meeting,” Fargo, North Dakota, March 2012
- “What We Learned As We Assembled Our Board of Directors for an ESOP Company,” The ESOP Association Midwest Regional Conference, Des Moines, September 2012; Minneapolis, September 2011
- “Managing Repurchase Liability Through Plan Design,” The ESOP Association Minnesota/Dakota Chapter Meeting, Fargo, North Dakota, June 2011
- “ESOP Administration Gotchas and How to Avoid Them,” Ohio Center for Employee Ownership Meeting, April 2011
- December 17, 2015
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Lewis & Clark School of Law, J.D., 2002
Carleton College, B.A., Religion (African American Religion and Culture), 1996