Kimberly K. Winter
An insurance coverage and insolvency attorney with more than 20 years of experience, Kim possesses great insight and perspective into complex coverage disputes.
Insurance Coverage Disputes
Kim handles a wide variety of complex coverage disputes arising under general liability, umbrella/excess, product liability, cyber and data breach, employment practices, environmental, pollution legal liability, directors and officers, professional liability, errors and omissions, fiduciary, fire, commercial auto, uninsured and underinsured motorist and first-party property policies, among others.
A significant portion of Kim’s practice involves analyzing policy terms, conducting insurance archeology, and negotiating with solvent and insolvent insurance carriers on behalf of policyholders facing long-tail environmental and product liability claims.
As counsel for the Director of the Missouri Department of Insurance for certain receivership proceedings involving Missouri-domiciled insolvent insurance companies over the past 20 years, as well as representing policyholders in various other insolvency proceedings, Kim has rare depth of experience in the fields of insurance regulation and insolvency.
General Additionally, Kim frequently analyzes policies and advises clients on tips for negotiating coverage terms, as well as handling claims and risks. Kim is a frequent speaker and author on all types of insurance issues.
Kim also donates her time and experience as a member of the Finance Committee for the Kansas City Pet Project, a non-profit animal shelter.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018
- Central Exchange, Emerging Leaders, 2017-2018
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Order of the Bench and Robe
- Member of the National Moot Court Team
- BNA Award for Best Brief, Moot Court Competition
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Brecek & Young Advisors, Inc. v. Lloyds of London Syndicate 2003, 2017 WL 217911---Fed.Appx.---(10th Cir., Apr. 18, 2017)
- Foliar Nutrients, Inc., et al. v. Nationwide Agribusiness Ins. Co., 133 F.Supp.3d 1372 (M.D. Ga. 2015)
- Hartford Fire Ins. Co. v. Vita Craft Corp., 911 F.Supp.2d 1164 (D. Kan. 2012)
- Author, “How to Maximize Coverage When Your Insurer Is Declared Insolvent,” The John Liner Review, Vol. 22, No. 4, Winter 2009
- Co-author, “Environmental Insurance,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 27, October 2010
- Co-author, “Marsh Clients Must Decide Whether to Accept Marsh Settlements by September 20, 2005,” Lathrop Gage legal alert, June 2005
- Co-Presenter, Policyholder Recovery 101: Top 10 Mistakes Policymakers Make When Handling a Liability Claim, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association 30th Annual Corporate House Counsel Institute, Kansas City, Missouri, June 2017
- Speaker, Finding Coverage for Personal and Advertising Claims Where You Least Expect It, RIMS 2017 Annual Conference and Exhibition, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 2017
- Speaker, Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When a Liability Claim Comes In, Association of Corporate Counsel - MidAmerica Chapter, October 2016
- Speaker, Avoiding Potential Minefields of Claims-Made Coverage, RIMS 2015 Annual Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 2015
- Speaker, 10 Endorsements You Should Consider Adding to Your Standard Policy, RIMS 2014 Annual Conference and Exhibition, Denver, Colorado, April 2014
- Speaker, 10 Endorsements You Should Consider Adding to Your Standard Policy, ACC Small Law Department Committee, February 2014
- Speaker, How to Get the Most Out of Your Liability Coverage After the Claim Comes In, Kansas City CPCU, October 2013
- Speaker, How to Get the Most Out of Your Liability Coverage After the Claim Comes In, Risk Insurance Management Society - Ozarks Chapter, May 2013
- Speaker, How to Get the Most Out of Your Liability Coverage After the Claim Comes In, Association of Corporate Counsel - MidAmerica Chapter, April 2013
- Speaker, Insurance Hot Topics: Practical Advice for Corporate Counsel, January 14, 2009
- Speaker, Tips on Handling Insolvent Claims, Risk Insurance Management Society, Springfield, Missouri, 2006
- Speaker, Environmental and Toxic Tort Insurance Recovery: Archaeology to Payment, Association of Corporate Counsel - St. Louis Chapter, October 2004
- August 15, 2017
- June 25, 2015
- January 2, 2013
- March 9, 2009
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1996
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.A., with highest distinction, 1993