Justin W. Whitney
Justin Whitney focuses his practice on estate planning, tax planning, and drafting of trusts, wills and corporate documents. Justin prepares basic and complex estate planning documents and implements sophisticated planning techniques on behalf of his clients. He also assists high net worth individuals and closely-held businesses with business succession planning and tax planning, including the formation of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, and structuring of corporate reorganizations and recapitalizations.
Justin is licensed by the State of Kansas as a Certified Public Accountant. During law school, he completed an internship with the Hon. Julie Robinson at the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas.
Outside of his legal practice, Justin has pilot and flight instructor certificates, both with instrument ratings.
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” - 2014-2015, 2017
- Myron E. Sildon Excellence in Estate Planning Award, Kansas City Estate Planning Society
- Bench Bar Committee for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Kansas, Attorney Position, 2014-2016
- Topeka Area Bankruptcy Council, Treasurer and Board Member, 2010-2016
- “FISA’s Future: An Analysis of Electronic Surveillance in Light of the Special Needs Exception to the Fourth Amendment,” Washburn Law Journal, Fall 2007
- “Taking the Trust Out of Trustee: The Kansas Supreme Court’s Standard for Reasonable Reliance Means Investors Should Proceed Cautiously When Altering the Prudent Investor Rule,” Washburn Law Journal, Fall 2006
- “Implications of Altering the Form Plan to Accelerate Vesting in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy,” Kansas Bar Association Insolvency Section Annual CLE, April 4, 2014
- “How to Analyze the Treatment of a Creditor’s Claim in Bankruptcy,” KCAA Semi-Annual Seminar, March 25, 2013
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Missouri-Kansas City Law School, L.L.M. Taxation, 2015
Washburn University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2007
University of Kansas, B.S. Accounting, 2004; B.S. Business Administration, 2002