Jessica E. Merrigan
Ms. Merrigan focuses her practice in environmental law. Her experience includes representing clients in administrative negotiations with both the Environmental Protection Agency and state agencies, advising clients regarding their regulatory requirements and assisting in litigation of environmental claims, including contribution claims under the federal Superfund law.
Ms. Merrigan assists clients with federal environmental laws and regulations, including permitting and compliance requirements for the Clean Water Act, reporting requirements of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund) and the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) and statutory and regulatory requirements of the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA). She also advises on clients on additional or equivalent state law requirements and assists with facility audits, compliance initiatives and waste reduction programs. She has worked with clients to monitor the ongoing changes in chemical regulations and implement programs to manage evolving state, local and federal requirements for chemical management, disclosure and research.
Ms. Merrigan has experience in the application and permitting process for solid waste facilities in Missouri, Kansas and Illinois and has assisted clients in meeting requirements for solid and hazardous waste management nationwide. She has advised regarding the water and air protection requirements of Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas, including federal, state and local requirements regarding storm water management and asbestos abatement.
Ms. Merrigan also works on environmental issues involved in property redevelopment and real estate transactions. Her work includes review of environmental assessments, evaluation of potential environmental liabilities associated with real estate transactions including those created by CERCLA, and evaluation of eligibility for federal and state Brownfields assistance programs.
Ms. Merrigan assists clients in transferring and maintaining permits, through the completion of appropriate plans and applications and coordination with responsible agencies. Ms. Merrigan’s past experience has included national, regional and local projects ranging from single site sales to transactions involving hundreds of millions and up to $2 billion in assets.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Selected for National Law Journal's "Top 50 Energy & Environmental Trailblazers"- 2015
- Selected for KC Business Magazine's "Rising Stars" - 2015
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” - 2008-2014
- Selected for Missouri Lawyers Weekly's "Up & Coming" award - 2012
- Selected for Kansas City Business Journal's “Best of the Bar” - 2010-2012
- Advisor to American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education
- KCMBA Environmental Committee, Vice-Chair (2010-2012)
- Member, KCMBA Blue Ribbon Panel on Civility in Legal Practice
- Missouri Waste Control Coalition, Advisory Board 2010-11, Director, 2011-2013
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Association of Women Lawyers, Kansas City
- Kansas City Tomorrow Leadership Program, sponsored by the Kansas City Civic Council, 2007-2008
- Author, “Green Chemistry and Beyond: The Changing World of Chemical Regulation,” Associate Industries of Missouri, October 2010
- Co-author, “Environmental Insurance,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 27, October 2010
- Co-author, “Understanding Environmental Insurance,” Appleman on Insurance Law and Practice, 2nd ed. Matthew Bender & Company, Inc., 2008.
- Speaker, Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation, presented by Lorman Education Services, November 2012
- Faculty, CERCLA Private Cost Recovery: How Courts are Directing Traffic Five Years After Atlantic Research, ALI-ABA, April 2012
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in the Foreclosure Process, Missouri Foreclosures and Workouts, presented by NBI, April 2012
- Panelist, Landfill Gas Migration, 2009 Missouri Waste Control Coalition Conference, June 2009
- Speaker, Going Beyond Due Diligence, Kansas Environmental Conference, August 2008
- Speaker, RCRA Compliance and Waste Reduction, Missouri Chamber Conference at the Lake of the Ozarks, July 2008
- Speaker, Industrial Storm Water Compliance, Missouri Waste Control Coalition Conference, June 2008
- Speaker, Environmental Risk Management, Associated Industries of Missouri Midwest Region Conference, April 2008
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Property Development, Mastering Land Use and Planning Processes presented by the National Business Institute, January 2008
- Speaker, Overview of Storm Water Regulations; Storm Water Enforcement; Responding to Enforcement Actions; Recent Trends in Storm Water Enforcement; and Hot Issues, Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation Seminar presented by Lorman Education Services, May 2007 (Missouri), September 2005 (Missouri), September 2005 (Kansas)
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Commercial Lending, Overview of Commercial Real Estate Requirements presented by Lorman Education Services, 2006
- Speaker, Environmental Issues in Real Estate Transactions, Fundamentals of Real Estate Closings presented by Lorman Education Services, March 2005
- Bill Beck and Jessica Merrigan Among 50 Attorneys Recognized Nationally as National Law Journal’s Energy & Environmental TrailblazersMay 8, 2015
- February 12, 2015
- October 14, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- December 17, 2010
- October 13, 2010
- August 27, 2008
- August 12, 2008
- July 1, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2003
University of San Diego, B.A., cum laude, 2000