John T. Coghlan
Mr. Coghlan focuses his practice on real estate, bankruptcy, and title insurance litigation. His title insurance litigation experience is in connection with insured lenders and owners under their title insurance policies, and title insurance underwriters and title insurance agencies on claims against them. He defends insureds in priority lien disputes, property boundary disputes, and various issues involving different aspects of an insured’s interest in real estate.
Mr. Coghlan handles general corporate and title insurance regulatory work and has appeared before several departments of insurance in defense of claims asserted against agents, agencies, and underwriters. He currently serves as counsel for the Missouri land Title Association on issues facing the title insurance industry.
In addition, Mr. Coghlan also handles various aspects of Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and in most cases represents secured creditors in bankruptcy matters ranging from claims resolution to adversary actions and contested matters of differing issues. Additionally, he represents unsecured creditors’ committees in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases on various issues.
Mr. Coghlan handles commercial loan workouts, restructuring, receivership cases, and foreclosures in Missouri and Kansas.
Mr. Coghlan routinely speaks throughout the United States on bankruptcy issues, title insurance, loan workout and loan restructuring, foreclosures, and various real estate topics. He regularly teaches on reading and preparing land descriptions to the title insurance industry, state recorders’ groups, and surveyors. He also wrote a chapter for the American Land Title Association on bankruptcy issues in real estate.
Mr. Coghlan’s prior experience includes serving as vice president and underwriting counsel for Stewart Title Guaranty Company and practicing bankruptcy and real estate law for other private law firms.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2012 and 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Vice-Chair, Editorial Board for The Missouri Bar Journal
- Missouri Land Title Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Speaker, Loan Workouts in the Wake of the Financial Meltdown, Missouri Bankers Association Annual Bank Legal Issues Conference, November 2009
- Author, What Do Attorneys Look For And Want In Foreclosure Reports, Missouri Land Title Association’s publication Missouri Titlegram, 1999
- Author, Bankruptcy: The Effect on Real Estate Titles, Chapter for American Land Title Association, 1998-99
- Co-Author, Secured Creditors, Missouri Bankruptcy Practice Deskbook, Chapter 5, 1992 and update 1995-96
- Author of various other articles for title association publication and seminar materials.
- Speaker, Legal Descriptions: What Are They?, National Association of Legal Secretaries Annual Convention, October 2007
- Speaker, How to Deal with the Effects of Bankruptcy on the Title to Real Estate, Missouri Land Title Institute, October 2007
- Speaker, Title Examination, Lorman Educational Services, November 2007
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Law clerk for the Honorable Karen See of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Intern for the Honorable Frank Koger of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri