Randell D. Wallace
Randell Wallace is the Partner in Charge of the Firm's Springfield, Missouri office.
A graduate of professional law practice management coaching and a veteran of decades of service to business and non-profit institutions, he brings his wealth of legal and managerial experience to his common role as outside general counsel to many clients.
Randell counsels local, regional and national developers, lenders, healthcare and educational institutions in real estate acquisition and divestiture, planning and zoning matters, economic development and redevelopment incentives, lending transactions, foreclosure, bankruptcy and workouts, leasing, and condominium formation and operation.
He also practices in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and economic development incentives. He has represented purchasers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions in the technology, food and agribusiness, pharmaceutical, and manufacturing industries.
He was recently honored as one of the Springfield Business Journal’s “Men of the Year,” and named as one of Southwest Missouri’s 100 most powerful and influential business leaders by BIZ417 Magazine.
Mr. Wallace was named a finalist for the 2008 "Lawyer of the Year" by the Missouri Lawyers Weekly for his representation of the McQueary Bros. Drug Co. in its $190 million acquisition by McKesson Corp., the 18th ranked company on the Fortune 500 list. McQueary Bros., a family-owned company founded in 1924, was a regional distributor of pharmaceutical, health and beauty products to more than 400 independent pharmacies in seven states.
He has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2003 and as a Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyer every year since 2005.
He has a long history of leadership positions in state and local business and economic development organizations.
He recently served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Missouri Partnership, the State of Missouri's public-private, not-for-profit corporation that markets Missouri for new business investment and recruits new industry and jobs to the state. He has also served as Chairman of the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce, President of the Springfield Business Development Corporation, Chairman of the Greene County Planning & Zoning Board, and President of Leadership Springfield. He also participated in two Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce trade missions to China, and helped to co-found the Springfield Good Government Committee, a pro-business and economic development political action committee formed to recruit and support candidates for the City Council of Springfield, Missouri.
Mr. Wallace has written articles and made presentations for the Missouri Bar, has made numerous presentations to community and economic development agencies, and has authored a general audience column on real estate law for a local newspaper and a private newsletter on real estate and business topics for real estate and lending professionals.
Real Estate and Economic Development
- Represented major healthcare entity in series of medical clinic built-to-suit lease transactions.
- Represented major franchisee of specialty restaurant chain in a series of build-to-suit lease transactions throughout the Southeast United States.
- Land assembly and rezoning of more than 20 separately owned parcels totaling over 100 acres for construction of new regional medical center to replace tornado- destroyed medical center. Assisted with negotiations with Municipal, State, and Federal highway and emergency management agencies.
- Represented developer in negotiation and approval of Tax Increment Financing agreement for a 90 acre retail and mixed use development.
- Land assembly, annexation and rezoning of multiple parcels aggregating over 100 acres for commercial mixed-use development anchored by specialty hospital facility. Project involved negotiation of development agreement with city, county and state governments for construction of modified highway interchange and new major arterial and Transportation Development District to finance infrastructure improvements.
- Land assembly and rezoning of multiple parcels for new campus of community college.
- Represented developer in redevelopment of center-city property for multi-screen movie theater and mixed-use space. Project involved combination of Transportation Development District and Community Improvement District to fund construction of multi-level condominium parking structures.
- Represented land developer in economic development project to attract telecommunications call center--largest, single job-creation project in Springfield in the last 50 years.
- Creation of one of City's first privately proposed Community Improvement Districts to assist developer in financing infrastructure improvements.
- Successfully appealed recommendation of denial by Planning and Zoning Commission of tax credit housing project to City Council.
- Successful rezoning and amendment of planned development of two of largest power shopping centers in southwest Missouri.
- Represented numerous developers before city and county planning and zoning commissions and city councils in more than ten jurisdictions in southwest Missouri.
- Formation of numerous mixed-use and residential condominium projects.
- Represented lenders and developers in financings of Section 42 tax credit affordable housing projects.
- Represented Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce on two 10-day trade missions to China.
Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented 100% ESOP-owned national food marketing agency in stock sale to major West-Coast-based food marketing business.
- Represented regional distributor of pharmaceutical products in $190 million merger with the 18th ranked company on Fortune 500 list.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of chain of supermarkets in Oklahoma.
- Represented management of supermarket chain in creation of ESOP-owned company and acquisition of operating assets.
- Formed U.S. subsidiary of Canadian manufacturing company and represented subsidiary in sale of its assets to U.S. Fortune 500 Company.
- Represented purchasers of several divisions of U.S. Fortune 500 Company.
- Springfield Business Journal “Men of the Year”, 2016
- BIZ 100, listing of most powerful and influential business leaders in 417 area code, BIZ417 Magazine, 2016
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Lawyers of the Year," 2008
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2003-2017
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2016
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Civic and Charitable Affiliations
- Ozarks Technical Community College Foundation, Board of Directors, 2015 to present
- Missouri Partnership - State of Missouri's Public-Private Economic Development Agency
- Chairman, Board of Directors, 2011 to 2013
- Member, Board of Directors, 2006 to 2014
- Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman, Board of Directors, 2005
- Member, Board of Directors, 2001 to 2006, and 2009
- Springfield Business Development Corporation
- President, 2009
- Member, Board of Directors, 2005 to 2009
- Greene County Planning & Zoning Board
- Chair, 1997-2000
- Board Member, 1993-2000
- Leadership Springfield, Community Leadership Program
- President, 1999-2000
- Board of Directors, 1994-2000
- Springfield Good Government Committee, Secretary, 2008 to 2014
- Home Builders Association of Springfield, Member, Board of Directors, 2012
- Partnership Industrial Center West Administrative Council, Vice-President, 2009
- Partnership Industrial Center Administrative Council, Member, 2005
- Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau, Member, Board of Directors, 2004
- Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Foundation, Board of Directors, 2006-2007
- Jordan Valley Park Advisory Committee, Member, 2004-2006
- Community Leadership Forum, Member, 2005
- Good Community Committee, Member, 2004-2005
- Junior Achievement of the Ozarks, Member, Board of Directors, 2000
- Ozarks Food Harvest, Member, Board of Directors, 1986 to 1992
- Springfield Business Development Corporation Annual Report, 2009
- Author, Deeds of Trust and Security Instruments, II Mo. Real Estate Practice (MoBar 4th ed. 2000)
- Author, Real Estate Leases and Effects of Foreclosure, Journal of The Missouri Bar, March/April 1997, reprinted in Epstein and Nickles, Debtor/Creditor: Creditor Remedies and Debtor Rights Under State and Non-Bankruptcy Federal Law, Thomson Reuters, 2009
- Editor, Property Law Section of Courts and CLE Bulletin (Southern & Western Districts), The Missouri Bar (1993-1995)
- Author, Advice from the Professional column, Springfield News-Leader (1992-1995)
- Co-Author, Annual Survey of the Law - Real Estate, The Missouri Bar (1992-1993)
- Author, The Listing Contract, Basic Real Estate Law in Missouri, National Business Institute, Inc. (1991)
- Co-Author, Credit Issues and Liens, Advanced Real Estate Law, National Business Institute, Inc. (1991)
- Author, The Listing Contract, Basic Real Estate Law in Missouri, National Business Institute, Inc. (1990)
- Moderator – Ethics Conversations Seminar, presented by Lathrop & Gage LLP, April 21, 2016
- Presenter, Mergers and Acquisitions Overview: Things Will Cost You Money When you Sell Your Business, 23rd Annual Gathering of Games Conference, September 12, 2015, St. Louis, Missouri
- Moderator of "Development Community" panel at 4th Annual Economic Conference presented by the Springfield Business Development Corporation on October 9, 2007
- Missouri Economic Development Council, 2006 Fall Conference, "Do's and Don'ts of Negotiating from the Development Attorney's Perspective," November 8, 2006
- Missouri Community Development Conference, Overview of Community Financing Tools—CID's, TDD's, NID's 353's and TIF, January 27, 2006
- Ozarks Regional Economic Partnership, Annual Meeting, Doing Business in China , October 28, 2005
- Lathrop & Gage LLP, Economic Development and Redevelopment Tools and Issues in Southwest Missouri, March 31, 2004
- The Missouri Bar, Annual Real Estate Institute, Land Use and Development Controls, May 17, 2002
- Ozark Mountain Section, American Planning Association, Legal Issues Involved with Transfer of Development Rights, July 16, 1999
- The Missouri Bar, "Creditors Rights and Remedies," Deeds of Trust and Assignment of Rents, April 1, 1999
- Society of Independent Accountants, New Business Entities in Missouri: LLC's, LLP's and LLLP's, September 29, 1997
- Professional Engineers Society, Storm Water Design Issues, July 9, 1997
- KWTO Radio, Ask a Professional Talk Radio Show, "Real Estate Issues," June 30, 1995, and June 16, 1995
- National Business Institute, Inc., Limited Liability Companies. The Entity of Choice in Missouri, June 22, 1994
- The Missouri Bar, Annual Survey of the Law, Real Estate, June 16, 1994
- The Missouri Bar, Annual Survey of the Law, Real Estate, June 18, 1993
- National Association of Purchasing Management and Missouri Association of Public Purchasing, Legal Issues for the Purchasing Professional, April 15, 1993
- National Association of Legal Secretaries Official Training Course, Real Estate, October 29, 1992
- Annual Meeting of The Missouri Bar, Annual Survey of the Law, Real Estate, October 1, 1992
- The Missouri Bar, Annual Survey of the Law, Real Estate, June 5, 1992
- National Business Institute, Inc., Basic Real Estate Law in Missouri, October 11, 1991
- National Business Institute, Inc., Advanced Real Estate Law in Missouri, June 28, 1991
- Society of Independent Accountants, Recent Developments in Corporate Law, November 15, 1990
- The Missouri Bar, Practical Skills Course, Business Organizations, November 15, 1990
- National Business Institute, Inc., Basic Real Estate Law in Missouri, June 5, 1990
- The Missouri Bar, Practical Skills Course, Business Organizations, August 31, 1989
- February 8, 2011
- July 7, 2010
- February 23, 2009
- December 29, 2008
- August 16, 2016
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- August 30, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- May 5, 2010
- January 15, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- April 30, 2009
- February 3, 2009
- JOBS Act Lifts Ban on “General Solicitation or Advertising” in Certain Private Offerings and Resales4/10/2012
910 East St. Louis StreetSuite 100Springfield, MO 65806-2523
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1985
Drury University, B.A., 1982