Michael D. Textor
Michael Textor has a national trial practice that focuses on construction, design, and real estate.
Mr. Textor represents public and private project owners, engineers, design-builders, architects, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, materials suppliers with:
- Front-end contracts
- Delay and disruption claims
- Payment disputes
- Defective design and defective workmanship claims
- Mechanics’ liens
- Bond claims
- Scope of work issues
Mr. Textor also represents property owners, developers, investors, landlords and tenants on a broad range of issues and disputes, including:
- Property acquisition
- Contract review and preparation
- Sales and lease negotiation
- Dispute resolution
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, Litigation - Construction, Real Estate Law, 2010-2017
- Recognized as “Forty Under 40” for business leadership by Springfield Business Journal, 2008
- Recognized among “Up and Coming Lawyers” by Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2008
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars”, 2008-2010
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law
- Missouri Bar, Construction Law Committee, Past Vice Chair and Past Legislative Chair
- Missouri State University, Past Adjunct Faculty, Construction Law
- General Counsel and Board Member, Springfield Contractors Association, 2006-Present
- Obtained and collected mechanics’ lien judgment for subcontractor for principal claim, plus interest and over $325,000 in attorneys’ fees against Fortune 100 Company in Missouri.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of concrete supplier’s lien claim against Fortune 500 Retailer project in Kansas.
- Obtained mechanics’ lien judgment for ENR top 10 Contractor against national hotelier in Colorado. Successfully foreclosed on mechanics’ lien and acquired the hotel property for client. Obtained personal guaranty from the principals of the owner and leveraged opportunity for favorable resolution for client.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 Company on roof defect claims related to large warehouse and office space in South Carolina.
- Protected interests of engineer/developer on appeal of judgment entered for venture capital firm in Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended construction manager against multi-party claims by hospital and subcontractors over $10 million, and successfully collected construction manager’s claims against hospital in Kansas.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice and award of attorneys’ fees against former business partner of client in Florida.
- Obtained very favorable recovery for utility contractor against a municipal corporation for failure to pay the contractor balance for work performed where the municipal corporation terminated the contractor for convenience and counterclaimed for delay damages and costs to complete work required by the contract in Arkansas.
- Obtained complete dismissal with prejudice of claims against pipe manufacturer in contractor’s Federal lawsuit against municipality, engineer and pipe manufacturer in Oklahoma. Dismissal with prejudice without payment by client occurred prior to trial and after depositions of plaintiff’s expert witnesses.
Also in Missouri:
- Defended ENR top 10 engineering firm against claims over $100 Million related to alleged negligent design of project. Obtained complete dismissal with prejudice without payment of claims by client.
- Represented school districts, on multiple occasions, throughout acquiring property, development of facilities, and preparation of construction contracts.
- Drafted all construction contract forms for use by a Fortune 500 company for all of its new construction projects.
- Obtained and fully collected jury verdict, including principal claim, penalty interest and attorney fees, for a contractor against commercial project owner. Successfully disqualified owner’s expert witnesses and obtained directed verdict on owner's claim of defective construction.
- Obtained and fully collected judgment for total claim, penalty interest and attorney fees, for a contractor in equitable mechanic's lien action on resort development project at Table Rock Lake. Represented all mechanics’ lien holders in forcing bankruptcy trustee sale of the property, after owner filed bankruptcy, which netted proceeds over the mechanics’ lien claims, penalty interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully resolved, through mediation, claims against a design engineer on sewer collection system project. Municipal owner claimed design defects caused premature corrosion of sewer pipe resulting in damages exceeding several million dollars.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for a design architect on claims of improper design due to roof collapse from snow load.
- Defended, and favorably resolved, professional negligence claims against engineer related to building stabilization evaluation and recommendations.
- On numerous occasions, successfully represented contractors in suits against school districts, municipalities and other public and private owners.
- Represented investors throughout acquiring a lumber company.
- August 16, 2016
- January 13, 2015
910 East St. Louis StreetSuite 100Springfield, MO 65806-2523
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1996
Missouri State University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1993