Mr. Reid has over 20 years of civil litigation experience. He has represented a wide array of businesses and individuals, including manufacturers, large and small commercial businesses, banks, hospitals, and various professionals on a wide range of issues. Mr. Reid takes a hands-on approach from the moment the client first contacts him, listens to what the client wants, and helps guide the client throughout the legal process. Having been a plaintiff's attorney for the first 9 years of his practice, Joseph has an understanding of what the other side is likely thinking and trying to accomplish and is able to advise and defend the client with his unique perspective.
Mr. Reid is a very experienced and accomplished trial lawyer and has successfully tried numerous cases in state and federal courts in Missouri and Mississippi. Some of those cases have involved product liability, business disputes, contractual disputes, professional negligence, medical negligence, and premises liability. He has obtained defense jury verdicts for our clients in multi-million dollar cases and has successfully obtained a multi-million dollar jury verdict on behalf of a client in a business dispute.
Mr. Reid is also the co-leader of the firm's Product Liability and Toxic and Mass Tort teams.
Some of Mr. Reid’s representative experience includes:
- Successfully represented a hospital and physicians’ group in a medical negligence lawsuit in which the plaintiffs requested over $1M in damages in closing argument. After 6 days of trial, the physicians’ group was dismissed by the plaintiffs, and the jury returned a 9-3 defense verdict for the hospital.
- Defended a medical negligence claim against a large health care system with claimed damages in excess of $8 million. Retained, prepared and presented nationally-renown expert witnesses on behalf of the defense and conducted rigorous cross-examination of the opposing counsel’s witnesses after in-depth discovery. Obtained 11-1 verdict in favor of the client. Trial court granted a new trial for alleged juror misconduct, and prevailed on appeal with the appellate court reversing the new trial and reinstating judgment for our client.
- Represented a well-respected family that owned an entertainment business in Branson, Missouri. Clients were defrauded by their business partners who had made misrepresentations during the negotiations in entering into the business and who then misappropriated large sums of income from the business for personal use. Secured a unanimous jury verdict in federal court for our clients who were given full company ownership and $2 million in damages – over $350,000 of which was for punitive damages. Also obtained a unanimous jury verdict for our clients as to the opponent’s counter-claim that sought in excess of $2 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages.
- Defended a product liability claim concerning an electrical transformer designed and manufactured by our client. Cross-examined two expert witnesses and successfully demonstrated that client’s transformer was not negligently designed or manufactured and that the transformer’s failure was due to installation error. After the examinations, and while still in the plaintiff’s case-in-chief, the plaintiff and the other co-defendant reached a settlement that allowed our client to be dismissed without any contribution.
- Missouri Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Mississippi Supreme Court
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2011-2014
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” - 2009, 2010
- Selected to the Springfield Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Springfield Class XXV
- Selected by Springfield Business Journal, 2009 Class 40 Under 40
- Moot Court Board
- Phi Delta Phi
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Mortar Board
- Order of Omega
- Lambda Sigma
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2015 - Present
- Foundation for Springfield Public Schools, President, 2010-11; President-Elect, 2009-2010
- Department of Elementary & Secondary Education - Missouri School Improvement Program 5 Advisory Committee, 2011
- Ronald McDonald Care Mobile “Tooth Truck,” Board of Directors, 2010-2016
- Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce - The Network
- Foundation for Springfield Public Schools, Board of Directors, 2008-2014
- The Missouri Bar
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Young Lawyers Division, Law School Relations Committee, Former Member
- Disaster Relief Committee, Former Member
- Montgomery County, Mississippi Bar, Former Member & Secretary
- Served as counsel for Montgomery County, Mississippi Board of Supervisors
- Past Attorney for Montgomery County, Mississippi Habitat for Humanity
- Schweitzer United Methodist Church, Springfield, MO, Member
- Co-Author, Medical, Hospital, and Related Damage, Missouri Damages, 3rd Ed., Vol I, Ch. 2
- Problems Facing In-House Counsel: Inside and Outside the Workplace, Lathrop Gage Springfield Office Seminar for In-House Counsel, April 2016
- Electronic Health Record Discovery Issues, Missouri Hospital Association Regional Corporate Counsel, May 13, 2015
- RSMo. §490.715 - Value of Medical Bills in Litigation; Ex Parte Communications with Medical Providers, Medical Records Law Seminar, Lorman Education Services, February 16, 2011
- HIPAA and Privacy Issues in Civil Litigation, presented to health care providers, June 6, 2006
- Trees & The Law, Missouri Community Forestry Council, January 25, 2007
- Trees & The Law, Missouri Department of Conservation, February 22, 2007
- RSMo. §490.715 – Determining the Value of Medical Treatment after Tort Reform, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association Personal Injury Continuing Legal Education Seminar, February 22, 2008
- August 16, 2016
- October 14, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- February 18, 2011
- December 17, 2010
- October 13, 2010
- August 30, 2010
- August 25, 2009
910 East St. Louis StreetSuite 100Springfield, MO 65806-2523
University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1995
University of Mississippi, B.A., summa cum laude, 1992