Andrew W. Custer, Ph.D.
Dr. Andrew Custer focuses his practice on patent prosecution and diligence in the life sciences. Dr. Custer has procured patents and performed IP diligence across many areas of biotechnology, including molecular diagnostics, genomics, stem cells, protein and immunologic therapeutics, mass spectrometry, and microfluidic chip assays. He received a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the University of Rochester where he investigated ion channel clustering in neurons. He also completed post-doctoral research at the University of California, Davis and the University of Florida, Gainesville, where he investigated aspects of gene evolution and rates of mutation in genomes.
Prior to joining the firm, Dr. Custer served as in-house patent counsel for a protective case manufacturer in San Diego, California. There, he developed and implemented prosecution strategies for an international IP portfolio, in addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications for mechanical devices. He also worked as a patent prosecutor in the Intellectual Property group of an international law firm in Del Mar, California.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Not yet admitted in: Massachusetts
- “Spontaneous Mutational and Standing Genetic (Co)variation at Dinucleotide Microsatellites in Caenorhabditis Briggsae and Caenorhabditis Elegans,” Phillips N, Salomon M, Custer A, Ostrow D, Baer CF. Mol Biol Evol. 2009 Mar; 26(3):659-69.
- “Origin and Evolution of a Chimeric Fusion Gene in Drosophila Subobscura, D. Madeirensis and D. Guanche,” Jones CD, Custer AW, Begun DJ. Genetics. 2005 May; 170(1):207-19.
- “The Role of the Ankyrin-Binding Protein NrCAM in Node of Ranvier Formation,” Custer AW, Kazarinova-Noyes K, Sakurai T, Xu X, Simon W, Grumet M, Shrager P. J Neurosci. 2003 Nov 5; 23(31):10032-9.
- “Caspr2, a New Member of the Neurexin Superfamily, is Localized at the Juxtaparanodes of Myelinated Axons and Associates with K+ Channels,” Poliak S, Gollan L, Martinez R, Custer A, Einheber S, Salzer JL, Trimmer JS, Shrager P, Peles E. Neuron. 1999 Dec; 24(4):1037-47.
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
University of Florida, Levin College of Law, J.D.
University of Rochester, Ph.D., Neuroscience
Tufts University, B.A., Biology